Sunday, January 28, 2018

Weekly Running Update: January 28th, 2018

Happy Sunday Funday All! Hope everyone is doing well!


My week in running: 

Monday: 6.22 miles after work. Definitely had a case of the Monday's. Yesterday I did 4 hrs yard work, and later enjoyed adult beverages while watching football. Back and shoulders hurt this morning, and overall tiredness at work. Scheduled for 50 min run, was not looking forward to it. Besides the hills, it wasn't as bad as I expected. Later Monday night, I did foam roll.
Tuesday: 3.11 miles after work. Tues/Thu is also strength training day. Crunches, planks, curls, tri extensions, push-ups before work. I didn't go to bed early as planned Monday, but still much more well rested that the day before. Felt good on the run. 


Tuesday, January 23rd, also marked the anniversary of a snow storm two years ago. I remember it well, it started overnight and went almost all day. My previous run streak was in the 20's and I will always remember how angry I was the next day when I restarted my streak.


Wednesday: 4 miles. I failed to foam roll last night, I foam rolled this morning. Wednesday is my work from home day, lunch run done! Cooler weather than the past few days, but not an issue. Glad to at least be able to see the sun! The run felt good overall. I did run into some obstacles along the way. The road outside of my neighborhood is pretty busy, a section of the sidewalk was under construction! Had to wait a few for cars to go by to get on the street. Next obstacle, a car coming out of a driveway looked one way but not the other. Glad I was able to get their attention! Last obstacle, a trash truck stopping at a local business blocked the sidewalk as well! had to wait a few for cars to go by! A few annoyances, but still enjoyed my run today!
Thursday: 3.11 miles after work. Felt good, but shins were a bit tight. Should hydrate and stretch. I did foam roll, but could have done better stretching the shins.
Friday: 4.5 mi+ (40 min). Saw the sunset last night, sun rise this morning. That wasn't planned. Woke up early, tossed and turned for a minute, and then the thought set in "oh hey, if you get up now you can get that run in before work!". Up before 5, out the door by 6. A bit cooler out, trying to take it easy for tomorrow's long run. Felt decent overall. Towards the end of my run... saw a skunk! it was maybe 20 ft from me! I went to the other side of the street and it just waddled away! So often when I see an animal at night I wonder if its a cat, skunk, or whatever. It was definitely a skunk. Sorry, no photo-op. lol Will try to hydrate during the day, stretch/foam roll tonight before bed. Did end up drinking at least 5+ waters and foam rolled to be somewhat fresh for tomorrow's long run.


Saturday: Long run day! 11 miles! Plans later in the day, set my alarm just in case, but of course, up before my alarm! Worked for a few minutes. Got ready to leave, couldn't find a glove! Went crazy, but I found it! At the trail (Pennypack Creek) by 7:30. A bit cool to start, but not an issue, the trail was a bit solid though. Trail is 5.25 mi. Park in the middle. Knew I would have to make up .5 somewhere, wasn't sure where I would do it yet, there are some side shoots I should check out more often. Out and back on the more gradual incline side first, went well. On the way back there was a railroad crossing that was in progress, ran in circles for a min or two. Passed my car at the mid point, failed to hydrate. ('doh!) After the parking lot there is a street light, it was red, ran in circles for a min or two. The other side of the trail is flatter for a bit, and has a decent hill at the end.  Around the 50 min mark bumped into some trail regulars and ran with them for a few min, didn't fuel at my normal time, but made sure to fuel at the turn around point. Made it back with about .15 to do, ran in one more circle. Got the .5 in running circles. lol Planned on doing 8:20 pace and fading to about 8:40, felt good for most of the way, was able to maintain my desired pace.

This week's social activity: rescheduled bday dinner (@IronAbbey) for my pops! Darn snow got in the way of the orig date. Below is a Peak Organic Ripe DIPA!
Sunday: Rest day, one for the streak. Streak day 736. Woke up early, but took my time getting ready. Sunrise was slow to start, didn't realize it was going to be a rainy morning! Out the door around 7:30. Rain day, backup headphones, shoes, and no glasses. Rain was more of a light drizzle, it wasn't that bad. It was a bit humid out, ditched the hat and gloves early. I know it's rest day, I should take it easy, but it's also tempting to bust out some 5k speed and work on breathing. Overall, the run felt great. 
This was week 6 of half marathon training for the Philadelphia Love Run, aka #LoveRunPhilly. Right after the Love Run is the Hot Chocolate 15k, #hc15k! Am using the below training program. If you're doing the #hc15k, they provide a training program as well! 
To credit the images, it was pulled Coach Jenny Hadfield's training plans
Future races registered for:
  • 03/25/18 - Philadelphia Love Run half marathon. Love the love run! Check out my 2017 review here. 
  • 04/07/18 - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k!! (15k) Join me using code “BRHCPHILLY18” to score a BONUS Hot Chocolate branded cap!  
  • https://www.hotchocolate15k.com/philadelphia
    Check out my Hot Chocolate 15k post here! 
  • 05/06/18 - Broad Street Run!  Assuming I win the lottery! My 2017 review here. 
Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G


Question: my food weakness is wings and beer. I try to limit that to once a week. Key word try. What is your food weakness?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...