Sunday, July 1, 2018

TCS NYC Marathon Training Week 2 - Weekly Running Update: July 1, 2018

Hi Everyone!

Hope all is well. Anyone doing any races or training for one? Which one? How's it going? 
This is week 2 of marathon training for me. I'm comfortable with half marathon training. Should be ok till about mid plan for the full. Will be sure to keep you up to date with my experiences. ;)

My week in training:

Monday: 5 miles. Early. Had some light chores Sunday morning and family plans that afternoon. Overall, Sunday was a successful rest day (after my 1 and done streak mile). Some potential staffing issues this week at work, I swear key players from every team are off. Got a good night's rest, hopefully ready to take on the week. Woke up before my alarm, 4:30 ish. Work on my mind, but way to early for that. Up, worked out. Out the door before six. 65 degrees out. Between rest and the weather, it felt great! A few hills here and there, but not bad. Humidity 85%, but a non issue. Run felt great. 
running selfie 06.25.18
Tue: 3.11 miles, before work. Planned on going to the trail after work, but woke up early naturally. Just in time to get my 5k in, might as well! Nice weather, good rest, great combination, felt pretty good overall.
running selfie 06.26.18
I see plenty of rabbits along my neighborhood runs, but usually not ready to take a pic before they run away. Saw this one during my cool down:
rabbit
Wed: 4 miles. Work from home day, yay! Wait, no, not this week due to my backup being off. Usually get my run in on my lunch break on remote day. Planned on getting up early today, run before work, a few errands to do after work. Workout, morning routine, and out the door before 6. Weather felt good. Definitely feeling the hills a bit more today, but a good run overall.
running selfie 06.27.18
Thursday: 3.11 miles. before work. Seeing a trend this week. Got a good night's rest, up early. Work out, morning routine. I hear what sounds like someone is walking around or moving furniture. Nope, that's thunder! Well, I'm already up early, enough time to get my run in before work. Still planning on going out. Well, 5 min before I head out, it starts pouring! Out the door before 6. As I get to the street in front of my house, I can tell it's going to be a fun one. Flash floods! Streams along the street much wider than usual, puddles that cover an entire intersection where it's flat! Needless to say, I wore backup shoes! I was pleasently surprised with my pace early on, mile 1 was sub 8. Think between the hills and my brain waking up, set back to reality, back around my normal pace. Sure rain runs can be invigorating, but it was a bit crazy. And of course, as soon as I get to work, suns out! Still glad I head out early, temps this afternoon mid 90's. 
running selfie 06.28.18
Friday: 5 miles. Finished the work week along the same trend. Woke up around 4:30. Worked out, coffee, morning routine and out the door by 5:45. I may have been awake, but was more tired today. Heat wave this weekend, already a bit steamy, but glad I got it done before work, would be much worse later. Felt the heat and hills majority of the way, but somehow maintained 8:07 most of the way. Surprised myself, usually ok with a bit more of a fade on days like this. Off to hydrate at work and prepare for tomorrow's long run! 
running selfie 06.29.18
Saturday: 10 miles. Long run day, yay! The streak of waking up early continued. Heat wave this weekend. Trying to beat the heat, but up even earlier than expected. Up before 5. Coffee, worked for a few minutes. At the trail (Pennypack Creek) by 6:15! Park in the middle. Today, I started with the side with the hill at the end.To that end and back felt pretty good, around 8:17 ish. Fueled around the 5 mi mark. Passed my car at 5.5, was sure to hydrate. Before I started, I almost forgot to set water out, not this time! Hydrated and kept on to the opposite trail, has a gradual incline to that end. Could feel the incline a bit, but not bad, and back. The trail is about 10.5, did a short cool down after. Hydrated some more at my car! Was done before 8. Definitely drenched, but felt good, glad I got it done early!
running selfie 06.30.18
trail running 06.30.18
Sunday: Rest day, one for the streak. Streak day 890. Took my time getting ready, but should of continued my streak of going out early! Didn't go out till 8:30. Heat index already 90! Smooth mile around the neighborhood. Unfortunately had plans of doing yard work after that. Ended up being outside another 2 hrs. Heat index was 99!  Going to try to take it easy rest of the day.
This was week two of marathon training, using the below plan. Will probably do a few extra miles the first few weeks at half marathon pace, will adjust when it's time to get into the double digits. 
To credit the images, it was pulled Coach Jenny Hadfield's training plans
marathon training program
Fall Schedule: 
10.07.18 - Army Ten Miler A revenge race for me. My 2017 review, here!

10.20.18 - Runner's World Half Festival. (5k & 10k). My 2017 5k review, here!

11.04.18 - TCS New York City Marathon! - Still can't believe I won the lottery on my 1st try!

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...