Sunday, June 24, 2018

TCS NYC Marathon Training Week 1 - Weekly Running Update: June 24, 2018

Hi Everyone!

Hope all is well! Anyone doing any races or training for one? I just got a reminder to start training for NYC! lol... I kid. It was on my calendar, but not for a couple weeks. The first few weeks of this plan are slightly under what I would normally be doing.

My week in running:

Monday: 5 miles. Returned from my hiking trip last night. Day off to catch up on weekend chores. But you know, gotta run first. :) Up around my normal time. Aching a bit from the hikes, took my time getting ready. Over at the trail by 8. Fueled beforehand with new mango Gatorade Endurance Energy Gel, helped get me going! Was able to maintain my desired pace. But could definitely feel the heat setting in! Replenished those electrolytes post run with watermelon Gatorade Endurance Formula! Made a new friend on my way back!
running selfie 06.18.18
Tuesday: 3.11 miles after work. Weather was mid 90's today, mid 80's by the time I was heading out. Hydrated throughout the day, but could definitely feel the summer heat by midway! 
running selfie 06.19.18
Wednesday: 4 miles. Work from home day, yay! Lunch run! Warm, but not as bad as yesterday. Although there was a section of freshly paved street that added some heat!
running selfie 06.20.18
Thursday: 3.11 miles, early! Plans after work. Set the alarm to get up early. Up a few minutes before that! Coffee, work out, morning routine, and out the door before 6! Temps a bit cooler in the morning, go figure, should do this more often! The temps may have been cooler, but did feel the humidity towards the end. Felt good overall.
running selfie 06.21.18
Friday: 4 miles after work. Cooler out. Chance of rain. Weather was a non issue, would have accepted some rain though. Would be refreshing. Decent run overall. A bit of shin pain, but the pace felt easy today. Wonder if weather was a factor? hmm..  Now to get ready for tomorrow morning's run!
running selfie 06.22.18

Saturday: 10 miles. Long run day, yay! had my alarm set to my normal time, up a few minutes before that. My on-call week for work has started, so I had to check work for a bit. A slight delay getting out. Automated some of the work so it would be ok till I got back. ;) Coffee, light breakfast, still at the trail by 7:30. Cooler out, but 90% humidity! Going to do a relaxed half marathon pace for a few long runs, before getting into the full marathon pace. Felt good through the mid point. Fueled up with the mango Gatorade Energy gel at the 5 mi mark. Passed my car at 5.5, hydrated a bit. Off to the other side of the trail. Could feel the humidity, faded a bit after 8. But still felt good. Hydrated and replenished those electrolytes afterward with watermelon Gatorade Endurance Formula! After my run, eventually head back outside to do yard work. I have been trying to do yard work mid week so I don't have to on long run day or rest day, but mid week plans put the kibosh on that. 28k steps for the day. 
running selfie 06.23.18
Sunday: Rest day, one for the streak. Streak day 883. Up a bit later than usual last night, entertaining company. Up at my normal time, but took my time getting ready. Coffee, signed into work for a bit, morning routine and out the door around 8:15. Casual mile around the block, felt pretty good. Some light outdoor chores afterward. Hope to relax rest most of the day. 
running selfie 06.24.18

This was week one of marathon training, using the below plan. Will probably do a few extra miles the first few weeks. 
To credit the images, it was pulled Coach Jenny Hadfield's training plans
marathon training program

Fall Schedule: 
10.07.18 - Army Ten Miler A revenge race for me. My 2017 review, here!

10.20.18 - Runner's World Half Festival. (5k & 10k). My 2017 5k review, here!

11.04.18 - TCS New York City Marathon! - Still can't believe I won the lottery on my 1st try!

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...