Sunday, April 28, 2019

Flying Pig Marathon Training - Week 19 - Weekly Running Update: April 28, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well. How's training going? Any recent races or coming up? Which ones?  This weekend was full of big races! Big Sur on the west side, plenty in the mid west, I know several people that doing the NJ Marathon, and Virgin London Marathon was today as well ! Anyone participate in any this weekend? How did it go?


My week was not as exciting. Week 19 of marathon training. One week to go to Flying Pig Marathon!


I probably wont do a full pre-race blog post, my goals going into week 20.



  • Trust the taper
  • Try not to do too many extra miles.
  • Rest as prescribed. (can't avoid yard work though, that stuff is growing fast!)
  • No strength training. (per plan) Part of my daily routine, more time on my hands in the morning!
  • Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! I already do 1-1.25 gallons without trying too hard, will do more!
  • Stretch/foam roll per usual.
  • Sports massage! (xmas present). Will be my first one!
  • Epsom salt baths! Will try to do at least 2 this week.
  • Trust the plan. Don't stray on race day. (fresh legs and adrenaline are dangerous combo) Learned that from my NYC experience, right?!
  • Have fun! Take in the views! Cincy/Flying Pig may be a one time deal, make the most of it!

My Week 19 in training:

Monday: 5+ miles before work. Sunday, minimal chores (got the worst done saturday). Made a point to relax. Even took a 20 minute epsom salt bath! Relaxing! Hydrated and stretched (of course). Was in bed before 9:30. Woke up a couple times, up before my alarm, a bit groggy to start. Coffee, work out (got rid of the grogginess pretty quick),  hydrate, and out the door by 6. 45 minute timed run. A break from those 7 mi Monday's! Still went with the same outlook of settle in to my comfortable hm pace and seek inclines and hills! Could feel Saturday's long run, but not that bad. 

running selfie 04.22.19 with skyline
Tuesday: 3.11 miles before work. Monday, hydrated all day and foam rolled at night. In bed by 9:15, up before my alarm but may have dozed off until it was time (4:50). Coffee, work out, hydrate, and stretch, out the door by 6:05. Slightly brisk air was nice! Took about 3 minutes (3-1 minute alerts) to settle in. Felt slightly more comfortable than expected. Pacing: 8:15/8:20/8:13 Before/after worst hills/overall.
running selfie 04.23.19 with skyline
Wednesday: 4 miles before work. Decent night's rest. Up before my alarm. Coffee, work out, hydrate, stretch, and out the door by 6:05. I wouldn't say I was grumpy this morning, but was in a bit of a mood, not as enthusiastic as usual. Pacing: started out better than expected. Felt good and maintained. Issue, I eventually suspected by phone gps is off, confirmed by mile 2 vs my watch. Continued on with what felt comfortable. May have pushed slightly harder to get it to 8:20 (watch 8:22 vs phone 8:00, phone is usually slightly higher than watch). Anyway, the run I didn't feel like doing because I was in a mood felt decent, always glad I got it done. Also, second confirmation my phone gps was off, it said 4 mi at least a half a block early!) During my cool down stopped by my azalea bush, bloom came in out of nowhere! Such a short bloom, will probably be gone next week!
running selfie 04.24.19 with azalea flowers header
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Wed, had drinks at dinner and a night cap. In bed early, but not quality sleep. Up before my alarm. Coffee, work out, hydrate, and out the door by 6:10. Sometimes tempted to push it on one mile day, not really today. Started out pushing it and then pulled back. Pacing started at 7:35 and was willing to let it fade to 7:50 and then decided to push it again to 7:45.
running selfie 04.25.19 with skyline
Friday: 4 miles before work. Could of gotten more sleep. Stayed up to 10:30 watching baseball (no beer involved, and they lost in extra innings). Up before my alarm but dozed off again 'till it went off. Coffee, work out (started slow but got going), hydrate, stretch, and out the door by 6:05. First mile felt great! 7:50, But probably should of pulled back a bit. Faded through the hills in mile 2 as expected, avg 8:20. Faded again through slight inclines, but split on the way back (which also has inclines). Weather was misty and humid, but felt good after.
running selfie 04.26.19
Saturday: 7 miles. Happy long run day! Single digits, yay! But I have to work today, have plans, and want to ensure I complete the monthly Strava hill climbing challenge, so I'm skipping the trail today to stick to the hills! Up at my normal time, but taking my time to get out there. Figured I may still head out by 6, but my normal "routine" was off. Glad that doesn't happen during the week often, knock on wood! Head out by 6:30. Settled in the 8:20's for a bit. Incline/decline every street until mid way, then it's all up hill for a while. Pace faded as expected to my comfortable hm pace 8:30. maintained. On the way back cut the declines short to turn around for more inclines. Sick in the head huh. lol.. Faded to 8:32 a couple times but regrouped to 8:30. Felt pretty decent today. Had to do yard work immediately after since I have to work at noon for a bit and then have plans. Travel day is next Saturday, will probably have to do yard work one more time since the spring growth is so fast right now. blah! lol
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day. One for the streak. Run Streak day 1191. "Slept in" until 6. Took my time getting ready, but have to get out there in time to finish up and get to the movies. Avengers Endgame! 3 hr movie, will be sure to hydrate after! ;) also, I see the irony that I wore a DC shirt this morning. 1 mile day, worked on cadences. Felt good. Will probably take it easy on 1 mile days this coming week. ;)

This was week 19 marathon training, using the below plan.
full marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield

Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled 23 mi / completed 25 mi 
Strength Training: scheduled 80 min/ completed 101 min
Foam roll: 7 days 
Hydration goal met: 6 days! I slacked on Saturday! Didn't hydrate before a road trip, had alcohol, and didn't hydrate enough after. 'Doh! 


Race Schedule 

05.05.19 - Broad Street Run! - Love this race, but won't be doing it this year. Sometimes you have to pass on repeat things to try something new! My review from last year, here.  

05.05.19 - Flying Pig Marathon! I am officially booked. Looks like a fun themed race, a great spring challenge, and somewhere I've never been (Cincy, Oh)! Hope to also check out Indiana and Kentucky while I'm out there! 

09.15.19 - Rock n Roll Philly Half Marathon. Use codes "19RNRBRP16" to save $16 off the half/full marathon and "19RNRBRP6" to save $6 off the 5k/10k! Race Preview, here!

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. My review from last yr, here. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...