Sunday, August 11, 2019

Weekly Running Report: August 11, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are doing well! 

How's everyone's summer training going? A few more weeks to Sept, bring on the fall temps!
Any recent races or one's coming up? Which ones?

This was week 16 of 20 marathon training for me.

My Week in Training: 

Monday: 7 miles before work. Saturday, did an ice bath! Shocking, but doable. Sunday, relaxed, hydrated and then some. Was sure to foam roll. Monday, going down the stairs wasn't bad. Maybe a good sign? Coffee, workout (core and arms/shoulders), hydrate, light stretch and out the door by 6. Temps/humidity not bad! Was comfortable at 8:20's, inclines, along the way, worst set of hills around midway. Faded to 8:30. Comfortable, but quads did get a bit heavy just before the end. Goal 8:34 (7mph), but I'll take it! Happy with how today went 2 days removed from a 20 miler.
Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Hydrated well Monday and foam rolled before bed. A bit more tight this morning. Slight hip pain, stairs weren't fun. Coffee, workout (core and chest), hydrate and stretch. Stretched my hip out for the most part. Started in the 7:30's and faded just under 8. A bit more humid today! Drenched during my "cool down". Actually felt better yesterday. Will be sure to stretch and hydrate. Side note: you cant really tell in the pic, but I should wear sleeveless shirts more often, I'm not tan, but upper arms are definitely a different shade. lol
Wednesday: 6 miles before work. Tues, was sure to hydrate and foam roll. Did have two beers at an impromptu dinner out(be sure to follow me on untappd). A decent night's rest. Up a few minutes early. Stairs hurt a little bit, but figured that would be ok after stretching, warming up. Workout (core and arms/shoulds) felt good, hydrate, light stretch, and out the door by 6. Slight hip pain at first, warmed up. Was in my desired pace for a couple miles, but could tell I may have some issues maintaining as I get to the worst set of hills. Inclines and humidity getting to me before midway. Alright, admitted to myself after the worst set of hills and trying to regain pace I wont be maintaining 8:30 today, will loosen up at try 8:45. Hung in there till about 5, but ended up at 9 overall for 7. Funny how Monday felt like recovery from the previous long run was good, but heavier legs after a shorter run. Will be thinking about doing more ice baths.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Run Streak day 1293. A little sore this morning. Had to do some extra yard work yesterday, some major limbs came down from a recent storm and had to be cut up. Back and shoulders feeling it a bit. Coffee, workout (core and chest) a bit rough, but done. Light stretching and out the door by 6:20. Short steep hill to start, could feel it, but ok when my route leveled out. Gained a little speed downhill but didn't want to over do it, slowed down on the way back up and maintained to keep under 8. 96% humidity, there is not much of a cool down outside even after only 1 mile. lol...


Friday: 5 miles before work. Thu, did an ice bath after work. Did have two beers while watching football, but behaved and hydrated as well. Still got a good night's rest. Up a few minutes before my alarm, but tired. Stairs hurt a little on the way down. Coffee, workout slowly but done (core and arms/shoulders), hydrate, light stretch and out the door by 6:05. Some slight hip pain at the start, but warmed up. Was somewhat comfortable early. Inclines along the way, worst set of hills near mid way, 8:15/8:23 after. Quads getting heavier, could tell it would be a struggle to maintain there, but able to (barely) keep it to 8:30.
Saturday: 10 miles (plus 1 untimed!) Long run day, trail day, yay! Friday, hydrated and then some. Carb loaded, took an ice bath, and then relaxed. In bed around 9, up a few minutes before my alarm. Coffee, hydrate, stretch, and at my trail by 6:30. The forecast was "pleasant" and it actually was! In the 60's, and finally some tolerable humidity. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Did the more incline side to Rockledge Park first. Hip started out a bit tight, but warmed up. Comfortable in the 8:30's. Tried a few times on the decline back from Rockledge to keep it right at 8:30, but nothing doing. Pace 8:37 at mid way. Fueled at 5 mi, hydrate at my car at 5.3. Off to the more wooded side, a few inclines and a hill at the end to Byberry Rd and back. Faded to 8:40's by 7. Turn around from Byberry, tried working on cadences and picking up speed to get it back to 8:45, but not doing. Quads starting to get a bit heavy, felt like I may pick up speed but the pace alerts weren't moving. lol.. Still saitisfied with today's run. Weather was so much more tolerable, enjoyed being out there. My trail is 10.5, I stopped at 10, which leaves a long cool down back to the car. Taking my time, a couple trail regulars about to pass me. One of my old training buddies that I haven't run with since last yr. They were doing another .5 past the parking lot towards Rockledge and back. Was great catching up, and I may have talked them into doing a marathon. :) But they did say they will run with me for the race, makes me nervous, they are on another level. lol.. But they insisted they would let me pace. We'll see!
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the Run Streak. Run Streak day 1296. Saturday, did and ice bath and relaxed remainder of the day. Maybe one or two drinks. ;) Got an excellent night's rest! 10 hrs! (avg just over 7!) Was up for a few minutes but able to fall back to sleep. Crazy how I go from being a morning person during the week to catching up on Sunday's lately! Coffee, hydrate, stretch, and out the door by 10. Slight pain at first, but ahead of pace. First pace alert start with a 6, but wasn't comfortable. Didn't push it, faded to 7:45ish. Will be relaxing, hydrating, and maybe an ice bath later! Last Monday 7 miler tomorrow!
Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled 28 mi / completed 31 mi (plan +3 streak days)
Strength Training: scheduled 80 min/ completed 115 min
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Hydration goal (gallon) met: 7 days  


This was week 16 marathon training, using the below plan.

Race Schedule 

09.08.19 - St Luke's Via Marathon I'm officially registered! Their Facebook page has a discount at the moment if you would like to join me! 

09.15.19 - Rock n Roll Philly Half Marathon. Use codes "19RNRBRP16" to save $16 off the half/full marathon and "19RNRBRP6" to save $6 off the 5k/10k! Race Preview, here!

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. My review from last yr, here!

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...