Sunday, October 13, 2019

Weekly Running Report: October 13, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all doing well!


Any recent races or ones coming up? Which ones? How's training going? 


This week I was reminded that it sometimes takes more than a day to recover from a long run. Monday's recovery run was rough! But with proper rest, recovery time, and a few other variables (foam rolling/stretching, ice or Epsom baths, weather), felt pretty decent remainder of the week. 

This was week 14 of 20 of marathon training for the Philadelphia Marathon.


My Week in Training:


Monday: 6 miles before work. Sunday, feeling Saturday's long run, was sure to take it easy. Did have a few beverages while watching football. In bed by my normal time, but not quality sleep. Mentally and physically tired today. Coffee (there will be plenty today), workout (core and arms/shoulders) and out the door by 6. Tired, goal to do a comfortable pace (which I thought would be 8:45). Legs felt like cement, and head a bit foggy, through the motions. Temps going back up for the day (high 80), could feel the humidity, but there was a couple nice breezes. Questioned myself and cussed throughout. Case of the Monday's today for sure.
Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Monday, did an ice bath, tired throughout the day, made a point to go to bed early. Coffee and workout (core and chest), and out the door by 6:15. Feeling slightly better today, was going to see how 8:00 felt. Worked on cadences before taking off. First couple alerts around 7:30, but not comfortable, pulled back and aimed for 7:45. Making progress since yesterday, but won't say I'm recovered just yet. But did have more energy most of the day.
Wednesday: 5 miles before work. Tues, did and Epsom salt bath and in bed by 9. Woke up a couple times. Including once due to being cold and someone stealing the blanket, but i digress. lol... At 4am, thought I may be up, but was able to fall back to sleep 'till my alarm (4:50). A bit tired. Coffee, workout (core and arms/shoulders), foam roll my back out, and ready to go by 6. A bit cool out, and energized, could feel today would at least be decent. First mile was a bit fast, sub 8, but knew i couldn't sustain that. 8:10 before my worst hill, 8:20 after. Fluctuated 8:20-8:15 rest of the way. Felt great being able to push it a bit. Crazy how recovery time (from Sat long run, rest, and other variables make a difference, felt so much better than Monday!
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Wednesday, did an ice bath. Did have a couple beverages at dinner and a night cap, but didn't over do it. Good night's rest, although I was up at least once. Coffee, workout (core and chest). Morning routine on schedule, TMI time, part of my "routine" was late. Concerned, but done in time to get out before work. Out the door by 6:30. Feeling somewhat limber, decided I'd be pushing it today. First few alerts started with a 6! Felt good, until the hill at .4 to go. Faded to 7:18, pushed again as the hill leveled out. Coughing a bit, the final push was a bit rough, but felt great to push most of the way.
Friday: 5 miles before work. Decent night's rest, but was definitely still asleep when that alarm went off. Before starting my workout, opened the basement door to outside during my workout (wind chill 46!). Amazing how the combo of coffee/workout (core and arms/shoulders)/ and cold air gets you going! Hydrate, foam roll my back out, and out the door by 6. Feeling pretty decent before heading out. Goal was to do a comfortable pace today. Started out ahead of pace and then settled in. 8:20 before the worst hills, 8:25 after. Comfortable and maintained under 8:30. Last half mile did another tough hill just for fun. :) Loving the temps today!
Saturday: 8 miles. "Long" run day, trail day, yay! Cutback week, only 8 miles today, big yay! Thankful for this cutback day, needed it! Fri, made a point to get a good night's rest. In bed shortly after 9. But woke up several times. First time, was 10:30, thought it was much later! lol.. Up before my alarm and didn't bother waiting for it. Coffee, foam roll my back out, and at my trail by 6:45. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Meeting people at 7 (or so I thought), decided to do a warm up mile before they got there. Comfortable, did .6 towards Rockledge and back, Paused at the bridge and train tracks to get a sunrise pick, (full pics on my fb). And head back to the parking lot. No signs of my buddies. Remembered one wouldnt be there, but surprised the other wasnt there yet. 7:05, took off without them to the more wooded side towards Byberry Rd. Air a bit chilly, felt great! At Byberry Rd (pacing avg 8:33), knew I would have to make up 1.5 mi somewhere, did the business district next door. Shhh... no trespassing. Slight inclines around, and easy to do 1.5 there without duplicating routes. Back to the Byberry Rd entrance with 2.5 to go. (Pacing avg 8:35). Felt the inclines, but ready to take advantage of the declines/flat on the way back. Started to neg split, and mile 7 was my fastest. 8 miles done just before Welsh Rd. .2 mi cool down to the parking lot. Felt great to push it on the way back! Just as I got to the parking lot, bumped into my friends just starting at 8 o'clock, slackers. lol..
Miscellaneous cardio: 2+ hrs of yard work after running. 
Full sunrise pics on FB
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak day 1359. Saturday's the one day I may stay up past 10,up to almost to 11! Sunday, the one day I may sleep in. Made it to 7. Wanted to get some rest, but also wanted to be done my 1 miler by 8:30 (to watch Chicago Marathon!). Tried falling back to sleep again, gave up after a few minutes. Coffee, stretch my back out, and out the door shortly after 8. A bit sore, but not bad. Was going to see how 8:00 felt. First couple alerts 7:45 and comfortable. Pushed a little bit, alerts kept going down, sub 7 at 5 min mark, but hill and incline that last .3. Faded a bit, but somewhat comfortable. Will be making an effort to get better rest this Sunday than last week. 7 mi recovery run tomorrow, I know it may be partly rough, but I can make it suck slightly less. Hydrate more, ice bath, and maybe less Sunday Funday beers watching football. 
Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled  miles 24 / completed 27 miles
Strength Training: scheduled 80 minutes/ completed 111 minutes
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Hydration goal (gallon) met: 7 days  
This was week 14 marathon training, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. My review from last yr, here!

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...