Sunday, October 6, 2019

Weekly Running Report: October 6, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all doing well!


Any recent races or ones coming up? Which ones? How's training going? How's weather where you are? The week started out still feeling like summer, but later dropped 30 degrees and finally feeling like fall!


This was week 13 of 20 of marathon training for the Philadelphia Marathon.

My Week in Training:

Monday: 7 miles before work. Sunday, relaxed plenty, did have a couple drinks, but didn't over do it, and tried to get a decent night's rest. Up a couple times, but slept until my alarm. A bit tired to start. Coffee and workout  (core and arms /shoulders). Stretched a bit and out the door by 6. A decent start, but expected to slow down through the hills. Lost a few seconds through the inclines, worst hill is midway, maintained under 8:30. Pretty good for a Monday for me. Inclines in the second half, legs got slightly heavy before it was all said and done, but not as bad as recent Monday's. Will be doing an ice bath later.
Tuesday: 1 mile before work. In bed a few minutes early and tried to sleep a few extra minutes, but up early. Tired to start, but not bad. Coffee, workout (core and chest). Slight pain before heading out, rolled my back out. Out the door by 6:15. Wasn't feeling "fresh" legs, didn't want to over do it. First alert was ahead of pace, but pulled back and leveled out. Will be doing an Epsom salt bath later.
Wednesday: 5 miles before work. One of those days I didn't write a snippet same day. What I do remember, according to my social posts, 70 degrees/92% humidity, blah, cant wait for fall weather! Will be here any day! Workout (core and arms/shoulders) and run done before work. Paced just under 8:30, but could of been slightly more comfortable. ;)
Thursday: 1 mile. Wed, did an ice bath, brr! In bed on time and woke up a few minutes before my alarm. Coffee, workout (core and chest). Light back pain, rolled and stretched it out. Out the door by 6:20. Light rain today! I swear it hasn't rained between 6-7 am here in months! Feeling limber and fresh enough to do a little speed, started working on breathing before taking off. First minute has a steep hill that levels out, pace alert was 7:40. Knew I could get it down to 7:20's and went for it. Picked up some speed, had a couple alerts that started with a 6. Didn't expect to stay there, but maintained a bit. Faded on the uphill to 7:15 and pushed again as it leveled out. Felt pretty good overall, and the rain was refreshing! Did feel the humidity during my cool down, but whatevs.
Friday: 4 miles before work. Thu, did an Epsom salt bath, and in bed at a decent time. Somewhat well rested. Coffee, work out (core and arms/shoulders), and out the door by 6:05. Weather, nice breeze and beginning to feel like fall (high 50's)! (besides the 95% humidity) Felt pretty decent early, pacing 8:15 until my favorite hill, 8:25 after. Comfortable, maintained rest of the way, may have picked it up it if I faded much more, but was comfortable and enjoyed the weather and sunrise.
Saturday: 18 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay!? Well, not all trail day, booo.. I'm on call this week, and was aware third shift may run slightly over and may need some coverage today.. I was up early, morning routine and ready to go, but checking work, could tell  I would be delayed at least a bit. My work today is basically monitoring and sending updates, could disconnect up to an hr at a time. Decided to do 5 around the neighborhood and check back. Comfortable 5 mi. Plan was to pace around 9, but tempted to do my mid week pace, was able to resist and take it easy. Checked work at 5mi. Work done, update sent, and off to my trail. At my trail by 7:30. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Starting out doing the side to Rockledge Park and back. Comfortable pace for about 2 and met up with trail regulars (including a buddy that is also training for the Philly marathon) on their way back from Rockledge. Turned around to run with them. Passed the mid point parking lot at 4 mi (usually 5.2 at this point, but cut short due to the early turn around), hydrated. And off to the more wooded side to Byberry Rd and back. Fueled, hydrated at the mid point parking lot (9mi) and head back towards Rockledge for 2 more and back. Pacing was 9:20 ish most of the way, but was pushed by my buddy for the last few. And they were rough. 8:50 pace splits to avg 9:14 overall. If i would of been solo, probably would of coasted at 9:30,  but glad I had someone there to push me. Went towards Rockledge Park twice, but didn't actually make it there. First time, turned around to run with friends, second time the mileage would of put me over. Saturday, also did 2+ hours of yard work. Later walked an Ocktoberfest festival. Ended the day just shy of 36k steps. Will definitely be taking it easy on Sunday rest day!
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak day 1352. Sunday, the one day I try to sleep in, not this time. Allergies said no. Having the windows open for fresh cool air is nice and all, but definitely effects my allergies. Up by 6, but taking my time. Slight overall soreness/tightness this morning. Out the door by 8. Today was pretty much just through the motions. Will be taking it easy remainder of the day, probably do an Epsom salt bath. Hopefully I'm ready for tomorrow's 6. 
Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled 34 miles / completed 37 miles
Strength Training: scheduled 80 minutes/ completed 99 minutes
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Hydration goal (gallon) met: 7 days  
This was week 13 marathon training, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. My review from last yr, here!

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...