Sunday, September 29, 2019

Weekly Running Report: September 29, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all doing well!


Any recent races or ones coming up? Which ones? How's training going? Who's ready for "fall" weather?! We had a tease a couple weeks ago, but still have summer temps going on! :(


After a couple races and a little recovery time, back to following a training plan. Picking up at Week 12 of 20 until Philadelphia Marathon!

My Week in Training:

Monday: 6 miles before work. Sunday, did 2 hrs of yard work, and relaxed remainder of the day. Tried to get a good night's rest, but could of used more. Coffee and workout (core and arms, shoulders). Head out the door by 6. Knew those temps last week were a tease. Back to summer for a bit. humid to start, going up to 90 later. Sticky right away. Tired and feeling it early. Cussing and questioning things before mid way. lol.. inclines along the way, 8:30's before the worst hills, 8:40's after, and losing pace. Tired, heavy legs, and humid. Good times!
Tuesday: 5 miles before work. (Tues is usually streak day for me, flip flopping a couple days this week). Ice bath yesterday. Decent night's rest, but slept until my alarm. Coffee, workout (core and chest), stretch, and out the door by 6:10. I was originally going to flip a couple other days, but saw I was on sched to head out in time, may be close, but doable. A bit more comfortable early, but did lose pace through the hills. 8:30's after the hills and maintaining, tried pushing several times, but didn't gain much. Felt better than yesterday, but legs got a bit heavy towards the end. Will be doing another ice bath later.
Wednesday: 1 mile before work. 1 mile day, I try to sleep 15 extra minutes, but that rarely happens. Decent night's rest. Coffee, workout (core and arms/shoulders), Legs feeling a bit better, but having some lower back pain. Don't think I lifted anything funny, but you never know. Worked on cadences beforehand. 7:30's to start, but pulled back a bit due to the back pain. Will be sure to foam roll and a bath of some sort.
Thursday: 5 miles before work. Wednesday, did an Epsom salt bath (lower back much better) and got a decent night's rest. Although, I slept to my alarm again. Coffee, workout (core and chest), and out the door by 6. First couple minutes a bit slow and picked it up. first mile sub 8, comfortable, but maybe pushing a bit. Tried to get a bit more comfortable before the worst hills. 8:10-8:20 through the hills. Tried picking it up a bit more, but pretty much just maintained. Felt pretty decent today vs earlier in the week.
Friday: 5 miles before work. Thursday, was up way past my bedtime, midnight! Watching sports (Philadelphia Eagles!), had some beverages. Was very tired this morning, not ready for my alarm to go off. Plan was to do 1 mile streak day today. I even rotated my schedule to do this. But for some reason, I did another 5 miler today. May have felt the need to sweat out the toxins. Tired throughout, "comfortable pace", occasionally tried pushing it, but not really. Was pretty much a through the motions day today. Will be sure to hydrate throughout the day and maybe do a bath tonight.
Saturday: 10 miles. Friday, did an Epsom salt bath, carb loaded, relaxed. Decent night's rest. Up just before my alarm, but waited it out. Coffee, foam roll/stretch my back out, and out my trail by 6:30. 6:30, and there was 15 cars at my trail already, barely light out! My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Sunrise pic is from the crosswalk by my starting point. Today, I started with the more wooded side to Byberry rd and back. Started out trying to push it, but was a bit tougher than preferred, decided to stick to comfortable 9 min pace. 8:55 ish for a while. Humid, drenched early, but cooler temps for the morning (going up later!). Around mi 2.5 bumped into most of the group that started ahead of me. Ladies club, that starts at 6. Surprised they haven't adjusted for the dark morning, but they had headlamps. On the way back to the mid point, paused for a moment, morning "routine" not done yet. Ugh. Resumed. Fueled at 5 mi, hydrated as I passed my car at 5.25. Off to the  more open gradual incline side to Rockledge Park. Maintained pace. At 7 mi (by Lorimer Park), bumped into a couple regulars, turned around and did 1.5 with them, relaxed pace (avg fell to 9:12). Great catching up with them, but turned around at the parking lot again to do .8 ish and back. Picked it up for a neg split to avg closer to 9. Felt good today!
Saturday was also new shoe day! Saucony Ride ISO. When I purchased the 2's, decided to see if I could find the 1's as well. The 1's were only $45 from Jackrabbit. I don't mind buying an older model if they are comfy. Seemed to do the job so far.
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak Day 1345. Saturday, did an ince bath. Hydrated. Offset by a couple beverages, but not too many. Up slightly past my normal bed time (11pm). Sunday is usually the one day I let myself sleep in, woke up a couple times, but slept until 8am! Slow moving this morning. Some light tightness in my calves, slight lower back pain. Coffee, stretch, foam roll my back, and out the door by 9:15. May have had some slight soreness, but did feel somewhat fresh. Decided to try speed work for the one. First alert, thought my alerts were off, nope a few feet faster than normal, first couple pace alerts started with a 6! Alright, it's on! Not reasonable to go for 7 flat today, but 7:15-7:30 felt attainable. my 1 mile is short steep hill, flat, down hill, uphill, even/incline. 7:20 and fading on the up. But maintained somewhat. Will be taking it easy remainder of the day. Hope to be ready for 7 miler tomorrow. Would be nice if fall weather actually showed up to stay!
Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled 26 miles / completed 33 miles
Strength Training: scheduled 80 minutes/ completed 104 minutes
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Hydration goal (gallon) met: 7 days  
This was week 12 marathon training, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. My review from last yr, here!

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...