Sunday, November 3, 2019

Weekly Running Report: November 3rd, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all doing well!


Any recent races or ones coming up? Which ones? How's training going? Shout out to everyone running New York City today! Will be watching the elites this morning and non-elites this afternoon! New York City Marathon is an amazing experience, hope to get back there some day.


This was week 17 of 20 of marathon training for me for the the Philadelphia Marathon. 


My Week in Training: 

Monday: 7 miles before work. Oh, Monday, we meet again. Sunday, usual rest day, but the heavy rain Sunday morning brought down plenty of leaves. (and my yard was clean on Saturday, looked like I didn't do any yard work Saturday.) Couple hours of yard work. :( Had a few beverages while watching football, but was sure to hydrate along. In bed at a decent time, but could of used more rest. Up a few minutes before my alarm. Not grumpy, but not excited. Workout (core and arms/shoulders), stretch my back out, and out the door by 6. Goal: try to do 8:30 without suffering too much. First couple miles around 8. Rolled through the inclines with no issues. Faded to 8:10 before the worst set of hills, 8:15 after. Maintained there for a bit. Happy with my pace but added an extreme hill towards the end. Love/hate that hill. Could of pushed it to maintain 8:15, but wouldn't have been comfortable. Happy with 8:20 ish, especially for a Monday. Oh, and this is my last Monday 7 miler of this plan. Not sure if it's the extra hills or that it's Monday, but usually don't look fwd to them. lol.. 
Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Monday, did an ice bath, and attempted to get a good night's rest. In bed shortly after 9, but tossed and turned for a bit, alarm adjusted for 1 mile day, a few more minutes rest, but up before my alarm. Coffee, fresh air and workout (core and chest), stretch my back out and out the door by 6:30. Feeling limber, may try pushing it today. Goal 7-7:15. Short steep hill to level, first pace alert 7:25. Picking up speed, next few alerts start with a six and felt I could maintain. down hill for 3 minutes, picking up the pace, uphill for two, level and then one last incline. Usually once I hit a certain pace I have breathing issues, not today. Faded slightly towards the end, but best 1 miler ever! (even if there is a 5 second difference between my phone and watch).
Wednesday: 5 miles before work. Tues, did an Epsom bath, and got to bed early! Tossed and turned for a bit, but a good night's rest. Coffee, workout (core and arms/shoulders), stretch my back out, and out the door by 6:05. Goal 8:15-8:30. Started out slightly slow, but settled in around 8. Inclines adding up, 8:10 before/8:15 after my worst hill midway. Maintained there, but had a feeling a may fade to 8:20. Down to 8:12, thought about skipping my last extreme hill, but not too concerned if I do fade slightly. Hill done with .5 to go, rough maintaining, but was able to.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Decent night's rest. Coffee, workout (core and chest), stretch my back out, and out the door by 6:20. Rain overnight, prepared to get wet, but wasn't that bad. Misty. Felt decent. Goal 7:15-7:30. First alert on pace, picked it up a bit, a couple alerts with a 6, but was not as comfortable as Tues. Pulled back slightly, and then faded a bit, but still pretty happy.
Friday: 4 miles before work. Multiple sleep issues last night. Stayed up slightly later than my regular bed time, doing a little cleanup after halloween and needed to relax for a few before bed. An hour after falling asleep, tornado warning! Up! Less than 5 min later, severe storm hit, wicked wind and rain. Thankfully no issues, and our halloween decor didn't take off. Back to sleep. I'm on call this week for work, received a call, up for a few until I figured out they routed the call to the wrong IT team. Back to sleep. Up before my alarm.. oh wait, my alarm was no longer set. Freaked out. Coffee, rushed part of my workout in. Today is core and arms/shoulders. Did part of it, will finish it after work. Out the door by 6:20. Thankfully I am remote today, and have until 7:30 to be cleaned up and online. A bit brisk out this morning! Debris from the storm all over the place. Goal 8:15-8:30. Decent start, think being in a rush and brisk helped. 8 ish before the worst hill, 8:10 after. Figured I could maintain/fade. branches, trees down, thankfully I didn't slip or trip. especially since it's dark or glares. Checking the weather after, brisk? Wind chill 32, maybe I should of added gloves? lol 
Were you affected by the storm?
Saturday: 20 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! 20 miles?! Always get a bit intimidated for this one. Friday, carb loaded and relaxed. Tried to get a good night's rest, but stayed up a few minutes later than usual. 10 pm. Alarm set, but up before it. Taking my time since it's dark until 7. Coffee, light breakfast to mimic what I would be doing race day. Stretch my back out. On schedule to get to my trail just before 7. Frost on my car! Couple minutes to defrost. On my way, road closed, no detour signs! Crazy how close my trail is, but I don't know the other back roads near it. Followed another car for a bit, hoping their detour was along my way. There close to 7. Trail parking lot was completely packed! Crazy since it's still dark. Some groups use headlamps and get out even earlier. My trail Pennypack Creek. Midway parking lot, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Did the more gradual incline side/more open side to Rockledge Park and back first. Felt good from the start. Settled in. A mile in, bumped into my buddy who I'll be pacing with for the race. He started at 5:30 due to plans. Faded to his pace. 9:18 or so. To Rockledge Park and back. Fueled at 5 mi and hydrated at my car at 5.25. My buddy ditched me since he was done. Off to the more wooded side to Byberry Rd and back. Picked up the pace, settling in near 9:09 (4 hr pace) Fueled at 10 mi, hydrated at 11 mi. Rockledge Park again and back. Picked up the pace again. 9ish. On the way back, saw an Albino buck! It was too off into the distance to get a good pic, kept on rolling. Fueled at 15 mi, hydrating at 16. Back to the more wooded side. Faded slightly after 16, 9:04/05 remainder of the way. Was somewhat tempted to go to the end at ByBerry Rd to do 21, but figured I may regret that later. 18-20, my lower back was a little tight and legs a little heavy, but manageable. Don't want to get too excited, but am pleased with today's run. Additional cardio today: 4.5 hours of yard work. Love fall, but I swear it all lands in my yard. 
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak day 1380. Saturday, did an ice bath. Slept in a bit, 7:30, oh wait, daylight savings time! 6:30. Overall soreness, I don't blame the long run, I blame the yard work. lol.. Taking my time getting ready, but want to be done by 9 to watch New York City Marathon!  Head out at 8. Saw there was frost everywhere and wore long sleeves, end of run I would have been comfortable in short sleeves and hat/gloves to start. First minute up a short steep hill, felt it in my glutes, hammies, quads, but first pace alert was faster than expected, 7:05. Not comfortable, goal was 8-8:30, let myself sttle into a more comfortable pace. Finished just under 8. Will probably do another ice bath today and take it easy. 
Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled 36 miles  / completed 39 miles
Miscellaneous cardio: 5 hours yard work. 
Strength Training: scheduled 80 minutes/ completed 121 minutes
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Hydration goal (gallon) met: 7 days  
This was week 17 marathon training, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. My review from last yr, here!

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...