Sunday, October 27, 2019

Weekly Running Report: October 27, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all doing well!


Any recent races or ones coming up? Which ones? How's training going? Shout out to everyone running Marine Corp today! Did my rain run this morning, fun, but I don't know if it would be for 26.2. lol


This was week 16 of 20 of marathon training for the Philadelphia Marathon. 

My Week in Training: 

Monday: 7 miles. Day off from work. Was away for the weekend and took an extra day to catch up on weekend chores. Did have a few beverages last night, but didn't over do it. Slept in a bit (6:30), but wished I could sleep more. lol.. A bit groggy, but up. Coffee, workout (core and arms/shoulders). Taking my time heading out, out around 8. Rested yesterday, but calves sore from the get go. Settled in 8:20's. 8:32 after the worst of the hills. Expected my pace to fade as the hills added up. Maintained at 8:30, but legs were heavy throughout. Miscellaneous "cardio": 3 hours of yard work and chores. Total step count around 19k. More concerned about my back after the yard work though.
Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Monday, did an ice bath and was sure to get a good night's rest. In bed shortly after 9. First time setting my alarm in a few days, up a few min before it, but fell asleep until it went off. lol.. Groggy, and my lower back hurt from yard work (as expected). Coffee, opened the window to get some brisk air. Workout (core and chest), foam roll/stretch my back out, and out the door by 6:15. Feeling limber enough to go for 7:30, worked on cadences before taking off. First pace alert a bit high, but not concerned yet since my run starts up a steep hill, next couple alerts within range. Wasn't feeling ambitious enough to try for 7:15, that may have been a bit more uncomfortable today.
Wednesday: 5 miles before work. Tues, did an Epsom bath and had intentions of going to bed early. Up just a few min later than planned, 9:30. Decent night's rest, but groggy. Coffee, fresh air, workout (core and arms/shoulders) got me going. Out the door by 6. Goal was to do 8:15, which means I'd try to do 8-8:05 until my hills. First alert a bit high, but got it down the next few. 7:30's. A bit faster than planned. 7:40 before my midway hill, 7:50 after. At the top of the hill, a complete stranger yelled that I was doing great and they had been watching me for years! Made my morning. That hill usually dictates the remainder of my run, but maintained focus. Kept repeating to myself not to settle in and picked it up as I slowed down a few times. Another set of hills at the end of my run, faded a bit to 8:03 in mi 4, but was able to get it back down under 8. Drained towards the end, but pretty happy overall. Miscellaneous cardio: .5 hrs yard work (leaves from Tues rain)
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Up just a few minutes later than planned, decent night's rest, but again could of used a bit more. Coffee, workout (core and chest), foam roll/stretch my back out, and out the door by 6:15. Feeling a bit better for this 1 miler, was definitley going to push for 7:30, maybe even 7:15. First alert on target and making progress, continued to push the pedal, alerts starting with a 6 at 5 min in! A small hill and incline to deal with. Faded to 7:05. Even better than expected for today.
Friday: 5 miles before work. Thu, went to bed on time, but still groggy this morning. Coffee and workout (core and arms/shoulders) helped get me going. Foam roll, stretch my back, and out the door by 6. Goal was to do 8:15, but not over stress it as tomorrow is "long run day". First alert a bit high, but the second alert was settled in. 7:40's and felt pretty good. A different route with a few more inclines before my least fav hill. 7:50's/8:03 before/after. Figured to fade a bit more and maintain, but hung in there. Back to 7:57 in the last mile and then added a steep hill for fun. :) Felt good going in, but didn't expect to maintain 8:00 today, pretty happy overall. As my run was coming to an end, could see the sunrise looked pretty great, but couldn't get a good view from where I was, head out of my route to snag a pic. Would of been even better if I crossed the highway, but my run was done, time to head back and get ready for work.
Saturday: 11 miles (scheduled for 10). Fri, carb loaded, relaxed, foam rolled, and in bed early. Intentions to get a good night's rest. Well, up at 3 am, ugh, couldn't fall back to sleep, may have gotten a few more minutes. Adjusted my alarm, but up. Coffee, hydrate, foam roll/stretch my back out. Taking my time, at my trail at 6:45, still pitch black in the woods! But there was at least 10 cars there already! Love my morning ppl! My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Since it was still dark, did the more open side first (gradual incline side), to Rockledge Park. At least .5 until it opens up, on the look out for nocturnal animals! Didn't see anyone until the next park, Lorimar Park (1.6 mi). More people at the Rockledge entrance (2.6 mi). Alright, no longer alone.  Back to midway parking lot. Fueled at 5 mi, hydrated at my car 5.25 mi. Pacing 8:10 (which is a little fast for me for that side due to that incline). Off to the more wooded side to Byberry Rd. Incline and hill before Byberry, quads feeling it just a bit, faded but not much, turn around and tried to pick up the pace to split on the way back. Still feeling pretty good, trail is 10.5 ish (5.25 x2) could of cut a bit at each end, but went with it and decided to do 11 instead of a long cool down. Did a couple minutes on a couple side trails before the end, of course there was inclines on the way back from them, could feel the inclines getting heavy, but still pretty happy overall. Goal was 8:30-8:45, maintained under 8:20 most of the way. Miscellaneous cardio: 2+ hrs yard work. Will be doing an ice bath later.
Additional pic (sorry for the middle finger): horse chestnuts! I see these things on one small section of my neighborhood runs, but see them throughout my trail runs. These things can be dangerous! I have come close to rolling my ankle plenty of times. Reminder to pay attention to path even when your settled in. Do you have any obstacles along your route? 
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak day . Saturday, stayed up late, midnight! very late for me. lol... (watching the World Series). Actually slept in on Sunday. 8am. Taking my time getting ready. Raining this morning. Thoughts are with anyone running Marine Corp or anyone else doing a long run today. Rain runs can be fun, but not sure about for how long.. lol..  Coffee and taking my time. Eventually head out aroud 9:45. Would like to thank my wife for taking the remote to motivate me to get out there. lol.. Pouring. Wasn't expecting a quick start, but I did. First couple alerts had 6's. Rough towards the end, but fun. Had a couple obstacles along the way. Branches down, deep puddles, a slick man hole cover on a sidewalk (why is that even a there?!) and those darn horse chestnuts.
Today's rain check list: old shoes, backup headphones, no glasses, ziplock bag for phone. Thought about a long sleeve, but glad I didn't. My body warms up quickly. 
Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled 27 miles  / completed 31 miles
Miscellaneous cardio: 5.5 hrs of yard work. (with today's rain, it looks like I haven't done any raking) :(
Strength Training: scheduled 80 minutes/ completed 117 minutes
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Hydration goal (gallon) met: 7 days  
This was week 16 marathon training, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. My review from last yr, here!

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...