Sunday, January 12, 2020

Weekly Running Report: January 12th, 2020

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well!


How's training going for you? Any recent races or training for one? Which one(s)?


How's the weather in your area? Early/midweek was avg winter here, but ended with an usual warm front! Celebrating the temp/lack of snow as long as possible! Hopefully that doesn't jinx us with a blizzard!  

This was week 5 of 20 of marathon training for the NJ Marathon for me. Join me! (discount at bottom of post) :)


My Week in Training:


Monday: 6 miles before work. Oh Monday, we meet again. Sunday, relaxed/ took it easy. But I did not get quality rest. A few beverages while watching playoff football. In bed at a decent time, but not quality. Up before my alarm and not feeling it, but up. Coffee, workout (core and arms/shoulders), and out the door by 6. Pretty much felt like a zombie today. Pace was surprisingly not as bad as expected. A few seconds off, but not as slow as I was mentally. May have cussed and questioned things, but made it through. Will be sure to get more quality rest of the week. Oh, and a new pain this week. Pain in my back/rib/chest. Not sure if it's from coughing for weeks or working out. Feels like someone is stabbing me in the back, ribs hurt back and and a bit in the chest when I cough or motion a certain way.
Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Monday, made a point to get a good night's rest. Just shy of 8 hours! Felt much more awake for this morning's workout/run. Coffee, workout (core and chest) and out the door by 6:30. A little sore from yesterday, but checked to see if I could do 7:15. Not today, lol.. Started out on target and faded on the last hill and incline.
Wednesday: 7 miles before work. In bed early with good intentions... But up at 2 am to use the restroom, and ended up tossing/turning rest of the night. Started thinking about my work to do list and couldn't sleep. Gave up at 4 o'clock. Up. Coffee and workout (core and arms/shoulders/ and chest since I had time). Surprisingly not that tired. Out the door by 6. Rain/snow in last night's forecast, didnt see anything when leaving. Wrong, a few slick spots of black ice. Not that bad, but had to be cautious on end of rd quick turnarounds and as I flew down a hill. First few miles were better than expected. Settled in by the time I got to my favorite hill, faded a bit more by the end. Actually saw the beginning of daylight toady! Pre work runs are usually done before daylight this season.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. A much better night's rest, 8 hrs. Up just before my alarm and mentally ready to take on the day. Coffee, workout (core and chest), stretch my back out and out the door by 6:30. Legs feeling alright, going to go for 7:15 again. Working on breathing. First pace alert starts with a 6 and feeling good, not over exertion. Kept with it, picked up pace on the downhill, faded a bit on the uphill. Somewhere after the uphill, evens out and another incline faded a bit. Hit my goal, but was going to try for 7:00 after those early pace alerts.
Friday: 5 miles before work. In bed early, but not quite ready. Tossed and turned for a bit. Woke up at least once and wasn't ready for the alarm. Not all quality, but 7.5 hours rest. Coffee and workout (core and arms/chest). Felt good, (not sluggish). Ready a few min early, but taking my time heading out. Stretched my back out and out the door by 6. Felt somewhat limber. Planned to work on breathing/cadences. Wasn't pushing it, but didnt "settle in" right away either. Midway point in the 7:50's. Thought about skipping my two worst hills, but didn't want to cheat myself. 8:00 after my gradual hill. Tougher to maintain after, but did for a bit. Still around 8 after my short extreme hill, 8:02 after and ended at 8:03. Felt good to work on things and maintain. Still have my stupid cough on occasion, legs heavy towards the end, rib/back pain almost better but still a thing, and shins hurt after. 300+ft ascent. Wonder how good things could go without these factors? lol..
Saturday: 11 miles (scheduled for 10). Long run day, trail day, yay! Fri: hydrated throughout, carb loaded, prepared my gear, foam rolled, and relaxed for the evening. In bed early, but woken up by work (I'm on call the next week). It was still early, before midnight, issue resolved quickly. Back to bed and a decent night's rest. Up a few minutes before my alarm. Coffee and taking my time. Weather 52 and going up to 60! Hesitant to wear short sleeves, happy with my decision as I was walking out the door. At my trail before 7. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Quick pic of the sunrise off in the distance before starting. Off to the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd. Pacing 8:15 early and comfortable. Turnaround at the Byberry Rd end (2.75 mi), but a quick pic of the sunrise by the barn across the way. Pacing 8:18. Still feeling good, if I was only doing 5 ish would work on splits on the way back. Maintained. Fueled at 5 mi, skipped hydrating at my car at 5.5 ('doh). Pacing 8:20 ish. Off to the more gradual incline side to Rockledge Park. Felt the incline, but maintained for a bit. Rockledge end, did the hill around the park. and back to the trail. Pacing 8:25. Slight decline/flat on the way back, but not picking up steam. Maintained under 8:30. Back at the midway parking lot needed .2, quick turnaround for a min and back. Scheduled for 10, trail is 10.5. Hate trimming when it's so close to either end, rather do an extra mi. :) Felt good overall. Goal was 8:30-8:45, maintained under. Weather was fantastic, and could tell everyone else was enjoying it as well. 
Full trail pics on Facebook
Non running: got a few steps in around the Philly zoo yesterday! Check out my IG for a few more pics!
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak Day 1450. Saturday, was up passed my bed time, almost midnight! Watching playoff football, a few beverages, but didn't over do it. A decent night's rest, but usually try for more on a Sunday. Coffee and taking my time getting out there. Out the door after 9. Temps still in the 60's, but windy! 29 mph gusts! Still warm with the wind. Planned on doing a comfortable 8 min mi, but the first pace alert was in the low 7's. Comfortable, the second one was as well. Guess I'm going with it! Started feeling it on the hill in the second half, starting to fade from 7:12 on. Pushed a bit more than planned. Still coughing a bit, especially right after, blah! Plan on taking it easy remainder of the day. May use my new TENS gadget later.
Weekly Summary:
Miles: 28 miles scheduled / 32 completed miles
Strength Training: Minimum 80 minutes, 129 minutes completed. 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Training Plan: 
This was week 5 marathon training for NJ Marathon, using the below plan.

marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 


04.26.2020 - NJ Marathon, I have registered for the full. They also have 5k, Half Marathon, and Marathon Relay options. Use code 20NJMBibRave to save $5 off registration!

10.11.2020 - Chicago Marathon

11.22.2020 - Philly Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...