Sunday, January 26, 2020

Weekly Running Report: January 26th, 2020

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well!


How's training going for you? Any recent races or training for one? Which one(s)?


This was week 7 of 20 of marathon training for the NJ Marathon for me. Join me! (discount at bottom of post) :)

My Week in Training:


Monday: 6 miles. Day off from work, trail day, yay! Sunday, had a few beverages while watching playoff football, but didn't over do it, got a decent night's rest. Tried sleeping in, but not happening, awake after 7, gave up at 8. Coffee and workout (core and arms/shoulders/and a bit of chest since I had time). Taking my time getting ready. Check the accuweather app, wind chill 10! Guess I'm wearing pants! (usually don't wear pants till temps hit the teens). In the sun, it was brisk out, but felt good. At my trail around 10. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. From the midway parking lot, either section is 5.5 mi (2.75 and back). Will be adding a few minutes before the turnaround. Chose the more gradual incline side to Rockledge Park since the ByBerry Rd side has a no trespassing sign by the nearby business loop I would do, but may have people since it's a Monday. Recent snow on Saturday, packed my yaktrax just in case. From the parking lot it looked pretty clear, a few patches of snow/ice, but not bad.  Pacing: goal 8:30. Started out around 8, but expected to fade up the incline. Maintained at 8:15 for most of the way. At the Rockledge Park end, left the trail for a few minutes, up a steep hill in a nearby neighborhood. Top of the hill hit 3 miles. Turnaround back to the trail and back to the midway point. Maintained 8:15-8:20 remainder of the way. There were shaded sections of ice where it was at least .25 mi of ice patches. Cautious, but manageable.
Full trail pics on Facebook
Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Monday, stayed up slightly late, decent night's rest, but could of used more. Just wasn't ready for bed. Up before my alarm, but dragging. Coffee, workout (core and chest) and out the door by 6:30. Chilly to start, wind chill of 15, that will help wake you up! Pacing: feeling decent, goal 7:15. Started out ahead of pace, first alert started with a 6! Settled in 7:10's. Hill at .6 and I started to fade a bit. A few houses had icy sidewalks just before the end, finished cautiously. Snow a few days ago, still some ice patches at these houses that didn't shovel. Hope I woke them up as I ran by cussing at them. lol... 
Wednesday: 7 miles before work. Tuesday, tired from lack of sleep Monday, told myself multiple times I would go to bed early. Well rested! A few weird dreams and up before my alarm, but well rested. Coffee and workout (core and arms/shoulders) felt good (not sluggish). Stretch my back out and out the door by 6. Temp 19, not bad. lol.. Pacing: goal 8:30 ish. Felt good early! 8 ish until midway. Inclines and then my fav hill. Maintained 8:10-8:15. A short extreme hill just before mi 6. faded slightly, but not bad. Felt the hills towards the end, but pretty good overall.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Wed, in bed on time and a decent night's rest! Up a few minutes before my alarm and up and at 'em! Coffee and a decent workout (core and chest), stretch my back out and out the door a few minutes early (goal to be out the door by 6:30 on 1 mi days). Pacing: Feeling somewhat limber, going for 7:15. Started out right on target, but wanted to push it a bit more before the hill at .6, took a couple minutes, but got it down to low 7's. Hit the hill at .6. Through it, felt it, but didn't fade by much. After the hill is level and then an incline, maintained. Felt pretty good.
Friday: 5 miles before work. Thu, in bed on time, up once but able to fall back asleep. Decent night's rest, but must of slept funny, back was a bit tight! Rolled it out and was good to go. Coffee, workout (core and arms/shoulders). Ahead of schedule, but out the door a few minutes late. (6:08 (goal 6:00) TMI time: tummy problems, think my healthy dinner had too much fiber! lol.. Initially concerned I may not be able to go outside for 45 minutes, but ended up being a non issue. Pacing: Goal 8:30. Started out under 8 and maintained most of the way. Faded at my usual hills, but not as much. Could feel my left shin throbbing a bit, will be sure to wear recovery socks and stretch. But felt pretty good overall.
Friday was also my run streak anniversary! Four years! January 23, 2016, we had a blizzard. I had a previous streak of 22, the next day I was so mad that I had to restart, that was the last time I let weather stop me. Not sure when the streak will end, I just know it's not today, and probably won't be tomorrow (or the day after that). ;)
Saturday: 7 miles. Friday, was tempted to break routine since it was a short long run. (dinner/drinks/stay up late), but hate breaking regime and stuck to it. Got my gear ready, carb loaded, relaxed and in bed shortly after 9. Decent night's rest, but up a couple times, and up before my alarm. Today's forecast, rain, heavy at times with flash flood warnings. Great stuff, and it's scheduled to pick up right about when I start (7ish). Coffee, morning routine, extra dark out due to the rain, daylight peaking out slightly later than normal. At my trail by 7:15. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd.  Either side is 5.5 (2.75 and back), would need to add 1.5 somewhere. Did the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd. Pacing: goal 8:30 ish. Settled in 8:15 ish. Raining, but manageable. Warm layers, warmed up quickly, ditched my hat/gloves early. At ByBerry Rd there is a business district next to that entrance parking lot, shh, no trespassing. Did 1.5+ in there, could easily do more without repeating much of the route in there. Rain turned into downpour. Back to the trail with 2.3 to go. Faded a bit, and soaked shoes getting heavy, usually split on the way back but trail beginning to flood, pretty much just maintained to keep it under 8:30.
Full trail pics on Facebook
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak Day 1464. Saturday, took it easy after my run. A few minutes of yard work after the rain finally stopped, but only a few minutes, didn't over exert. A few beverages with dinner and after, but didn't over do it. Tried sleeping in, up at my normal time and able to fall back to sleep for a few minutes. My watch says I got almost 9 hours of rest! Up and taking my time, coffee, stretch my back out and out the door around 9. Planned on taking it easy today, comfortable, first pace alert 7:30. Was planning on a laid back mile, 8 ish, still comfortable, next alert 7:30. Hill at .6 maintained. Finished in the 7:30's but didn't exert much.
Weekly Summary:
Miles: 25 miles scheduled / 28 completed miles
Strength Training: Minimum 80 minutes,  137 minutes completed. 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Training Plan: 
This was week 7 marathon training for NJ Marathon, using the below plan.

marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 


04.26.2020 - NJ Marathon, I am registered for the full! They also have 5k, Half Marathon, and Marathon Relay options. Use code 20NJMBibRave to save $5 off registration!

10.11.2020 - Chicago Marathon

11.22.2020 - Philly Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...