Sunday, February 2, 2020

Weekly Running Report: February 2, 2020

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well!


How's training going for you? Any recent races or training for one? Which one(s)? How was your January? Get all your miles in? Any weather or other challenges (such as cold/flu)?


This was week 8 of 20 of marathon training for the NJ Marathon for me. Join me 04/25-26! (discount at bottom of post) :)

My Week in Training:

Monday: 7 miles before work. Sunday, relaxed majority of the day, no grueling chores, hydrated well, used my Belifu TENS gadget on my quads, calves, lower back. In bed on time. And NO beer! (occasionally one or few during football/sports, no football/no beer). Up at least once overnight, and again before my alarm. Waited a few before getting up before my alarm, but well rested for a Monday, imagine that?! Coffee and workout (core and arms/shoulders), stretch my back out, and out the door by 6. Felt good early. Pacing: 8 until my midway hill, 8:10 after. Feeling the inclines and hills, maintained. Felt the hills, but I usually do on neighborhood 7 mi day (500 ft ascent), but pretty good for a Monday. 
Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Monday, in bed on time. Up at least once, and again before my alarm, but still a decent night's rest. Coffee, workout (core and chest), and out the door around 6:15. Could of been out earlier, thought about doing extra miles since I was ahead of schedule, but also trying to stick to the plan. tue/thu shouldn't even be streak days. Stretched and ready to go. Pacing: Feeling limber, going for 7. Starts out short steep hill, working on cadences/breathing feeling good. Pass the landmark I usually get a pace alert by, thought my alerts were off. Nope! Going fast! (for me), get the alert a few seconds later. Felt good, maintained on the level portion, still sub 7. About .2 down hill, picking up speed! Sub 6:30! Hill at .6, usually fade slightly, levels out and one last incline. Still sub 6:40, new fastest mile! Breathing towards the end was a bit rough, but fun!
Wednesday: 7 miles before work. Coffee and got a good workout in (core and arms/shoulders). Stretched my back out and out the door by 6. Ahead of schedule, have all my gear, but fidgety getting ready, but out the door on time. Pacing: Goal 8:30 Comfortable pace to start, but first alert was a bit slower than planned. Picked it up a bit and settled in around 8. inclines adding up, 8:10 after my midway hill. Could feel my legs getting heavy, but maintaining, and added my short extreme hill in mi 5 for fun. Completed the monthly Strava run climb challenge a couple days early, will be passing 7000 ft ascent for the month. Not always a fan of my hills, but hills are good for you, right?
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Wed, ok night's rest. In bed on time, but tossed and turned often. Up several times and up at 4, gave up on sleep. Coffee and workout (core and chest). Out the door by 6:15 (could of been out earlier for more miles if wanted, sticking to plan). Pacing: goal 7:15-7:30. Before stepping out, realized my headphones were in another room and I didn't want to make too much noise grabbing them. I have backup wired headphones in my belt, but figured for 1 mile could just go on feel. I could hear my phone, but part of my route is along a busy road, too much car noise. Starting out felt good breathing and pace wise, picked it up on the decline and faded through the incline. Could hear muffled alerts start with a 6 and then 7. Overall felt decent. Some exertion, but not all out.
Friday: 5 miles before work. Thu, in bed on time, only woke up once briefly, but an excellent night's rest, almost made it to my alarm. Slow to start, coffee, workout (core and arms/shoulders) got going, crazy how quickly I wake up once you get your heart rate up. Out the door by 6. Pacing: goal 8:15-8:30. Felt good early. Sub 8 through the inclines, slow down through my midway hill, took a bit, but able to pick it back up after. Added my short extreme hill at 4.25. Down the streets could start to see daylight, but couldn't get a decent pic. Hope to start seeing daylight/sunrise before work soon!
Saturday: 12 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! Fri, got my gear ready, carb loaded, relaxed, and in bed early. Not a good night's rest though, tossed and turned and up before my alarm. Coffee and taking my time getting ready, but ready early. Daylight isnt until 7ish, but tired of waiting, head over to my trail early. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Trail is 10.5 ish (5.25ish x2) Instead of repeating a section, decided to add a bit outside of the trail. Started out on the more gradual incline side to Rockledge Park. A few minutes in the dark grey woods, could see about 1. ahead, but that section of trail opens up about .5 in. Moonlight till daylight. Pacing: goal 8:30. Settled in at 8:20. Felt good, could feel the incline, but maintained. At Rockledge Park, strayed off into the nearby neighborhood up a steep hill, faded to 8:24. To their main street for a few minutes and back. (goal to add about 1.5 mi here). Turned around at 3.4ish, and back to the trail. Trying to split on the way back. Feeling better after that hill. Fueled at 6 mi, and hit 7 mi at the midway parking lot (usually 5.5 (measured that 1.5 good enough :) ) Didn't hydrate at my car (will need to get better at this again as long runs get longer soon). Off to the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd. A slight incline and hill at the end, split a little bit on the way back. Maintained 8:20, but was pushing to hang in there. But felt great overall. 
Miscellaneous cardio: 1.5 hours of yard work. Been telling myself the next nice Saturday I'll get out there to do some. Snow and rain the past couple weeks, rain in the forecast today, but not 'till later. Always more to do, but also waiting for a Japanese Maple to finish shedding. Oh well. 
Full trail pics on Facebook
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak Day 1471. Saturday, hydrated well, offset by a couple drinks at dinner and maybe more while watching college hoops. Up past my bed time, almost midnight! Slept in today, but up before the groundhog. Hope he's right about an early spring! Coffee, foam roll. Back needed that today after yard work yesterday! Out the door around 8:30. Plan on doing a comfortable 1 miler. Started out on target in the 7:50's, but picked up speed. Saw a swan from the road, quick pic, and took off again. No pausing, pace still in the 7:30's. Will be taking it easy today, hydrate well, use my Belifu TENS gadget, and try to get a good night's rest, but will be up for the Super Bowl. 
Weekly Summary:
Miles: 31 miles scheduled / 34 completed miles
Strength Training: Minimum 80 minutes, 135 minutes completed. 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, chest. 
Training Plan: 
This was week 8 marathon training for NJ Marathon, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 


04.26.2020 - NJ Marathon, I am registered for the full! They also have 5k, Half Marathon, and Marathon Relay options. Use code 20NJMBibRave to save $5 off registration!

10.11.2020 - Chicago Marathon

11.22.2020 - Philly Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...