Sunday, February 9, 2020

Weekly Running Report: February 9, 2020


Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well!


How's training going for you? Any recent races or training for one? Which one(s)? I know I have a few followers doing Hot Chocolate races or the Miami Marathon this weekend, good luck to you! Let us know how it went! 


This was week 9 of 20 of marathon training for the NJ Marathon for me. Join me 04/25-26! (discount at bottom of post) :)


My Week in Training:


Monday: 7 miles before work. Sunday, rest day, did plenty of that. Watched Groundhog Day, hydrated plenty, used my Belifu TENS gadget on my calves, quads, lower back and shoulders. Eventually offset by drinks and staying up late for the Super Bowl. Up till 11, usual bed time around 9. Up a few minutes before my alarm, but tired. Workout done, a bit sluggish. Stretch my back and out the door by 6. Tired. Legs felt heavy throughout. Pacing: goal 8:30, but wont obsess today. Settled in at 8:10, 8:20 after my least fav hill and maintained. Last mile was a bit rough, but done. Black ice in spots, but manageable. was especially cautious on a couple declines! 
Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Monday, hydrated very well, intentions of getting a good night's rest. In bed on time, maybe even a few minutes early. Issue, work call at 1:17. Worked for 20 some minutes and went back to bed angry. (should not have been contacted). Tossed and turned for a few hours, even thought about giving up on sleep. Fell asleep maybe 4 am. And then up before my alarm at 5. Could of used more rest. Coffee and working out. Tired to start, but moving along near normal pace. Stretch and out the door by 6:30. Raining. Great. lol.. Tested the pavement before taking off, no ice. Pacing: goal 7:30. Through the motions, first two alerts a bit slower than preferred. Picked it up and maintained. Rain actually felt good.
Wednesday: 6 miles before work. Tues, made a bold effort to get a good night's rest. Tossed and turned at first, decent rest, and then called from work 30 min before my alarm. Used to waking up before my alarm, but trying. Work issue resolved in time. Got my morning workout in (core and arms shoulders), stretch and out the door by 6. Pacing: goal 8:20, but felt good early! Maintained pace for a bit through the inclines. 7:50's before my midway hill. Tried to keep it at 8. 8:02 after the midway hill, maintained, but gradually losing a few more. Still added my short extreme hill in the last mile for fun. Pretty happy overall.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Still trying to get that perfect night's rest. In bed on time, no on-call work issues, but had a dream there was and woke up at 4 checking my phone. Tossed/turned, up before my alarm. Coffee, eventually got myself going, even let some cool air in to help wake me up. Workout (core and chest), stretch and out the door on time. Pace: Felt pretty good before hand, going to push it. 7-7:15. Felt good, but pace was a few seconds off, pushed a bit harder. A few pace alerts starting with a 6. Hill at .6, tried to keep it at 7:00 or below, but faded a few. Rough to end, but happy good overall.
Friday: 5 miles before work. Still chasing that perfect night's rest, almost made it to my alarm, up an hour early and then a few minutes before. Coffee and workout (core and arms/shoulders), stretch and out the door by 6. pacing: feeling good beforehand (note i said beforehand) was going to go for 8-8:10. Hills caught up with me today, not as fresh as I thought. low 8's before my worst hill, 8 teens after. Tried to pick it up after the hill evened out, but that wasn't happening. Under 8:20, but could of easily faded a bit more. lol.. Did my short steep extreme hill in the last mile, it was rough this time! lol.. Today's weather was foggy/misty throughout, but done just in time to beat the rain, picked up shortly after!
Saturday: 14 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! Fri, hydrated well, carb loaded, relaxed, and in bed on time. Issues falling asleep, and up an hour before my alarm. Maybe tomorrow's rest day I'll actually sleep in. We'll see. lol.. But I digress. Coffee and taking my time. At my trail just before 7. Daylight is getting earlier, could probably start sooner now. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood. Starting out on the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd. Doing the first 7 or so with a group, my buddy is recovering from an injury and ready to get back out there. Comfortable pace. Started out at 9:05. Gradually getting a couple seconds faster. Turnaround at ByBerry, back to the midway parking lot, 5.5 mi. Skipped hydrating. Off to the more gradual incline to Rockledge. Pacing 8:50, my buddy mentioned it was slightly faster than he planned, but was hanging in there. :) I was leading the way, a step or so ahead, but conscious to not leave him or push him too hard. Perfect balance. My group is doing 9, they turned back around 7.5. I tried picking up the pace from then on. Through the incline, knocking off a second or two. Around the small hill at Rockledge Park, back to the trail, and will try to neg split on the way back. From 8:50, eventually got it to 8:38, but couldn't get it any lower. Maintain rest of the way. Passed my car at 11, skipped hydrating. I will get better at this, I promise. Back to the more wooded side for 1.5 and back. Pacing: goal 8:30-8:45. But did a more comfortable pace with a group, but got it down there when solo.
Full trail pics on Facebook
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak Day 1478. Saturday, used my used my Belifu TENS gadget. Hydrated somewhat adequately, but could of done better. And had a few beverages. I did finally get a full night's rest though! 9+ hours! Up at my normal time, but able to fall back to sleep for a bit. Coffee and taking my time, stretch my back out, and out the door around 9:30. Overall soreness today, will try not to push it. First couple pace alerts faster than expected, but eventually faded. Overall soreness, as I mentioned, feeling yesterday's run. Tough to think about ice baths during the winter, but I may do one today. We'll see. Plan on taking it easy remainder of the day.
Weekly Summary:
Miles: 32 miles scheduled / 35 completed miles
Strength Training: Minimum 80 minutes, 153 minutes completed. 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest. 
Training Plan: 
This was week 9 marathon training for NJ Marathon, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 


04.26.2020 - NJ Marathon, I am registered for the full! They also have 5k, Half Marathon, and Marathon Relay options. Use code 20NJMBibRave to save $5 off registration!

10.11.2020 - Chicago Marathon

11.22.2020 - Philly Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...