Sunday, May 31, 2020

Weekly Running Report: May 31, 2020

Hi Everyone! Hope all is well!

How is training going? 

Any virtual races? How are they going? 

This was the end of the first month of the Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee for me. Been doing extra miles here and there, but time off of work this past Monday/Tues, added even more. Starting to feel the extra miles, hills, and humidity/heat increasing. Trying to keep recovery in mind, may cut back as needed.

Not following my plan for a bit, but this would of been week 1 of 20 until the Chicago Marathon, will shift focus in a few weeks. 

My Week in Training: 

Monday: 11 miles (usually 7 mi) Day off from work (Memorial Day), trail day, yay! Sunday, usually rest day, but did 7 miles, hydrated, foam rolled, offset hydration a bit with beverages. Up slightly past my bed time (10:30), with plans of sleeping in today. Made it till 5:45! (that is an extra hr) lol... Coffee, workout, stretch my back out, and at my trail by 7:15. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood. Did the more gradual incline side to Rockledge Park and back first. Settled in just below 9. Weather was humid and misty to start. Had to ditch my glasses for a bit, it eventually cleared up. Hydrated as we passed my car at 5.5. Off to the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd and back. Fueled before starting and usually refuel at the 1 hour mark. Forgot and was only a few miles to go when I remembered, skipped it. Pacing was comfortable majority of the way. Gradually picking up steam with three to go, and split the last two. A bit uncomfortable at the end, but was fun. 
Full pics on Facebook
Tuesday: 5 miles. Thinking the added mileage is catching up to me. Didn't rest after Saturday's long run and added more miles along the way. Day off from work, but not adding too many miles here since I'm going hiking in a bit, probably should of cut back more, but wasn't sure how far we were going later. Felt it, but hung in there. Oh, and it was 96% humid and dense fog.
Tuesday: Hiking: 4+ miles. As tired and sore as I was earlier, I was fine for my hike. But I know I may be feeling it tomorrow!
Mt Tammany. 4+ miles.
Red trail (for the vistas) -  has a decent ascent. 1200 ft overall. Some scrambling required. Rated moderate/somewhat strenuous. Felt the hills, and it was 85 degrees out. Nice challenge.
Blue trail - down less aggressive, but still a bit rocky. End of the blue trail has water features. In theory could skip some challenges and start at the end to enjoy the water. Small waterfalls, babbling creek.
Wednesday: 7 miles before work. (thought about cutting back, but 7 is my normal Wed, hate reducing from plan days) Tuesday, hydrated after our hike, but probably could of used more, and eventually offset with beverages. Foam rolled. Wasn't ready for bed, up a few minutes past my bed time and up several times overnight. Coffee and workout (slowly, but done in time). Out the door by 6. Heavy legs early. 8:15/8:25 pace before/after my midway hill. Legs felt like they were cement and sore, shins and hammy feeling tight! Could of avoided a couple hills, but still took them on, fading a little more. Oh, and 98% humidity to add to the misery. lol...
Think this is where I started to question the extra miles from earlier in the week... lol..
Thursday: 5 miles before work. Wed, foam rolled, stretched my shins, and in bed on time. Up multiple times, but still a much better night's rest. Coffee and workout, stretch my back and shins, and out the door by 6. Despite being stiff and in some pain, the first two miles went well. Faded through the hills and so on. Thought about skipping my last hill. (midway hill pretty unavoidable, remaining hills I could find flatter ways back), but hung in there to finish. Ice bath after. Hydrating like heck, and will be sure to foam roll and stretch later.
Friday: 5 miles before work. Thu, did an ice bath, stretched multiple times throughout the day and foam rolled.  Although had a setback last night, doing a chore on a ladder, kicked my shin against the ladder! Some pain, and not good for shin splints. lol.. Ended up also using icy hot and taking Aleve (which I try not to). Good night's rest, up a few times, but quality. A bit groggy to start. Coffee and workout, stretch, and out the door by 6. Muggy! 95% humidity, but felt worse than previous days, drenched early! Legs not completely fresh, but getting better than previous days. 8:08 after my first hill and hung in there to keep it under 8:15 overall. Ice bath after and will be sure to hydrate all day and stretch a couple times. 
Saturday: 14 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! Friday, foam rolled and stretched before bed. A decent night's rest, but up way before my alarm. Tossed and turned for a few, that's it, I'm up! Slept until my alarm most of the week, not today. Up at 4:15, but taking my time to start. Coffee and "routine". Stretch and ready to go and at my trail by 5:45. Probably could of been there earlier, but didnt want to rush my routine. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Did the more gradual incline side to Rockledge Park first. During stretching, my shin and hammy were still a bit tender, felt it the first few minutes into my run, but felt better early. Weather was humid/sticky, soaked early! At the Rockledge end, debated myself, but turned off into the nearby neighborhood for a few minutes. A nice steep hill. Questioning my choice, but went with it. 10 minutes out from the trail and back. Fueled at 1 hour, and hydrated as I passed my car at 7.5. Bumped into a training buddy as I was leaving the parking lot, they joined me for most of the second half. Over to the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd and back. Comfortable, but noticed pace slipping a few seconds, non issue. At the ByBerry Rd end went over to the nearby business complex for about 10 minutes. Trail is 11 miles, added enough at either end to hit 14 before the parking lot. Picked up the pace the last couple miles, was a bit tired at the end, but not bad. Goal was to maintain at 9 pace, ended with 8:53.
Full pics on Facebook
Sunday: 3.11 miles. Run Streak Day 1590. Rest day, I use that term loosely lately. lol.. Saturday, did an ice bath, hydrated well, and stretched/foam rolled. Hydration eventually offset by a few drinks. Up slightly past my bed time, slept in to 5:45, wish I could of slept later, just not programed to sleep that late. Coffee, taking my time to head out, stretch, and out the door before 8. Right shin hurt a bit at first, but got better as I warmed up. Some overall soreness from yesterday.  Planned to do a "comfortable" pace today. Well, my nike app pace alerts got disabled by accident, on my own to pace myself. lol.. Pacing started comfortable, but occasionally pushing to to avoid slacking too much. Checked my pace at the mile markers, first mile was faster than planned, second slowed down through the hill, picked it back up after leveling out, and maintained through the 2nd-3rd hills. Pushed harder than planned. I have since fixed my pace alerts to resume tomorrow. Will be doing an ice bath, hydrating, stretching and foam rolling to be ready to get back at it tomorrow!
Monthly:
Sunday was also month end! Been a bit since month ended on blog post day. 
Miles: 220.5 (my previous high was 186!)
Strava hill challenge: 3356 meters (11010.5 feet ascent, also a new personal high!)

Weekly Summary:
Miles:  51.6       
#GVRAT1000k: 5.2 mi/day avg needed to complete. Current avg: 7.11 (05/01-current)  
Strength Training: Goal 120 minutes. 138 minutes completed. 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest. 
Training Plan: 
Week 1 of 20 until Chicago, loosely following the below, will adhere a bit closer in a few weeks. 
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

05.01-08.31.2020 The "Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee 1000k". A good challenge for me. The daily/weekly/monthly average is just a bit beyond my training. My peak marathon training weeks barely meet it. Should be a good challenge to keep me ready till fall training. 

10.11.2020 - Chicago Marathon

11.22.2020 - Philly Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...