Sunday, May 24, 2020

Weekly Running Report: May 24, 2020


Hi Everyone! Hope you are all doing well!

How's training going? Any virtual races, which ones, how they'd go/going? 

I'm currently doing the Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee, which has been a good challenge for me to be accountable until fall training starts. The avg needed to maintain is just above my avg going in. After solidifying my avg, I admit I started looking at more of my numbers this past week. On pace to beat my highest month, which also has me looking at another number I've never done before. But also recognize rest days have purpose. We'll see how the rest of the month goes... I'm sure I'll back off when I really start following my plan for the fall.. (So I say.. )

My Week in Training: 

Monday: 7 miles before work. Saturday did some yard work after my long run that had me aching on Sunday. Sunday, focused on recovery, ice bath, hydrate, foam roll, etc and in bed on time. Good night's rest, especially for a Sunday, usually have issues when the weekend ends, but decent rest. Coffee and workout, still sore in certain places. Stretch and out the door by 6. First mile was around 8, but knew that wouldn't be realistic. 8:10/8:20 before/after my midway hill. Through the motions with heavy legs and kept it under 8:34 (7mph), it was a bit rough, but done.
Tuesday: 3.11 miles before work. Monday, did an ice bath, hydrated well, but participated in a virtual happy hour. Well behaved though, still got an excellent night's rest. Up before my alarm, but tried to wait it out a bit. Coffee and workout, still hurts to bend over or pick something off the ground, but done. Out the door by 6:15. Still a little sore (glutes/hips/quads), stiff (shins), and tight (hammy). But was "comfortable" moving along in the 7:40's. Faded after my midway hill. Worked on breathing and footstrike to bring it back down. Two more smaller hills before the end was able to somehow maintain. Was definitely work in the second half, but happy overall. 
Wednesday: 7 miles before work. Tues, foam rolled and in bed on time, decent rest. Up and ready to go! Coffee and workout. Of course my watch was almost dead, have to get better at charging before bed! used my phone to time my workout.. Sets done, charged up, and out the door by 6! Still some slight soreness, but not as achy. Weather felt great as well! (chafed a bit, unprepared there). Almost needed my gloves to start! Settled in, and definitely better than Monday! Comfortable. Felt the hills, but not bad. Wasn't a great run, (not completely fresh or fast) but felt good most of the way! Wish I could of kept going, if it wasn't for work! lol.. 
Finished the monthly strava hill challenge. Guess doing extra miles has extra hills, lol.. 1/3 of the month to go, may try to add another 1000 meters, we'll see! 
Think this is when I started to look at my other monthly numbers... 
Thursday: 7 miles before work. (used to be short streak day). Wed, adjusted my alarm to make sure I had ample time to do 7 mi before work.. Foam rolled, in bed on time, up before my alarm! Coffee and workout, got a couple extra sets in. Out the door by 6. Trying to take it a bit more comfortable today. 8:05 ish before my midway hill, 8:12ish after and maintained under 8:20. A bit better than expected for taking a bit more easier, and only a couple seconds off from yesterday. Did work on breathing/footstrike a bit, but didn't over exert. 
Friday: 7 miles before work. (usually scheduled for 4-5?). Thurs, participated in Thirsty Thurs, didn't foam roll. Was in bed on time, not a horrible night's rest, could of used more, but behaved somewhat, wasn't poor quality rest. Up before my alarm. Workout, stretch my back, and out the door by 6. Goal was to do a "comfortable" 7 miler. try not to over exert, hopefully the extra miles during the week don't hinder my long run tomorrow. Started out slightly fast, but pulled back. Settled in low 8's, faded after my midway hill and maintained and then faded again after the later hills. Felt the hills, didn't really feel much speed to give at the end if I wanted to.. lol.. 
Saturday: 16 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! Friday, carb loaded, hydrated, relaxed, but failed to foam roll. In bed a few minutes late (9:30), up multiple times, and a bit tired when that alarm went off. Coffee, routine, stretch my back out, and at my trail a few minutes after 6. My trail, Pennypack Creek, park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. One of my friends, who I haven't run with since winter, got there just before me. Asked me how far I was going? 13-15? They were doing 14. I may be slightly faster than their training pace, knew it would be to catch up with them, comfortable, and less stressful, was sure to let them dictate pace. I may have occasionally pulled fwd unintentionally, but was mindful and pulled back when I realized. Comfortable most of the way. After 11 miles we bumped into another friend to finish with. At 12.5 miles, my first friend turned around for their 14. I knew my second friend would be picking up the pace after that.. Brought my 9:12 avg down to 9 by the end. Felt it, but was good overall.
Fuel and hydration: fueled at 1 hour, hydrated as we passed my car at 5.5 mi, and 11mi. 
Weather: light rain to start, downpour most of the way. Perfect temps, felt good. Ditched my glasses early. Wore backup shoes that are near retirement. Only set back was soggy shoes, some puddles are unavoidable, submerged many times. lol.. And there was way less people today! Parking lot was less than 1/4 full when we left, usually packed by that time! 
Full pics on Facebook
Sunday: 7 miles. Usually rest day/streak day? Sunday rest day is the one I really adhere to. Not today.. Saturday, hydrated, ice bath, failed to foam roll, and had a few beverages to offset the hydration. In bed by 10:30 and slept in till 7. Woke up slightly sore, but not that bad for a day after a 16. Coffee, stretch, and head out a bit after 8. Goal was to do a comfortable 7 mi, hopefully under 8:30, but won't over do it to maintain that. Felt it in my calves, but wasn't horrible. 8:10 before 8:18 after my midway hill. Maintained 8:20 ish until the last hills and inclines. Could feel the hills a bit, but hung in there. Usually Monday's after a sat long run are the worst for me, even after a "rest day". We'll see how tomorrow goes.. lol. But I may be skipping my hills tomorrow to get a trail run in. ;)
Weekly Summary:
Miles: 55 miles completed. 
#GVRAT1000k: 5.2 mi/day avg needed to complete. Current avg: 6.85 (05/01-current)  
Strength Training: Goal 120 minutes. 145 minutes completed. 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest. 
Training Plan: 
Not back on the plan yet, but would be using the below.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

05.01-08.31.2020 The "Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee 1000k". A good challenge for me. The daily/weekly/monthly average is just a bit beyond my training. My peak marathon training weeks barely meet it. Should be a good challenge to keep me ready till fall training. 

10.11.2020 - Chicago Marathon

11.22.2020 - Philly Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...