Sunday, August 12, 2018

TCS NYC Marathon Training Week 8 - Weekly Running Update: Aug 12, 2018

Hi Everyone! 

Hope everyone is doing well. Anyone do any races recently or training for one, which one?
Another week of heat and humidity, hope everyone is hydrating well, especially if you are putting in work outside!

My week in review: 

Monday: 5 miles after work. Sunday, had a full day in the sun (at the Phillies gm), and a few adult beverages. Hydrated, but knew I wouldn't be ready to run before work. Heat advisory in effect Sun-wed. Hydrated a ton all day Monday. Was as ready as I could be for an after work run. Over to the trail (Pennypack Creekaround 5:15. Park in the middle. Did the side that has more shade and back. A couple min in, sweat beads starting. Definitely sweating by .5. lol... Maintained my pace for a bit, but wasn't going to stress about it. Up the hill at the mid way point, slowed down a notch, picked it up a bit after. Around the 4 mi mark, heat started to set in a bit more. Definitely counting down the minutes the rest of the way! Hydrated right after! Goal for the night was to hydrate and go to bed early.
Tuesday: 3.11 miles before work. Went to bed early Monday, up early Tues to beat the heat. Coffee, work out, stretch, and out the door by 6. A bit humid out, but cooler out than yesterday, as the sun wasn't up yet. Slowed down through a couple of the hills, but not bad.
Wednesday: 5 miles before work. Heat advisory in effect until today, still wanted to get up before the heat set in, just in case. Heat was not an issue, but of course 90%+ humidity.
Thursday: 3.11 miles. Day off from work. Stayed at my dad's house last night. Unfortunately, it was not for fun. A funeral later Thu morning, am glad I was able to be there for my friend and their family. Reminder, life is short and precious. Not just about work (and running or other hobbies/interests)). Appreciate and make the most of your family, friends, and loved ones. oh, and #FuckCancer. Sorry for the cuss. 
Back to my run...Last time I stayed at my dad's house, I didn't have time to check out a nearby trail (Gring's Mill), I just ran around his neighborhood. Similarly, I didn't have time, but this time I remembered there is an adjacent business district with a path and ponds. My run had a few inclines, but nothing severe. I did end up doing a few loops, as it wasn't as long as I expected, but was able to enjoy the ponds.
Friday: 5 miles before work. Thursday, was up slightly later than usual. Football was on! Preseason, but hey, it's still football! Set my alarm to get my run in before work. A bit tired this morning, but not bad. Coffee, work out, stretch, and out the door by 6. Temps not bad yet, a bit humid, but manageable.
Saturday: 10 miles. Long run day, yay! Got a good night's rest. Up before the alarm, per usual. Coffee (and hydrate), worked a few minutes, I was hungry but didn't feel like eating.. and over to the trail by 7:15. Park in the middle of the trail. Did the side with the hill at the end and back. Paced at 8:20 most of the way, but faded to 8:25 by mid point. Fueled at the 5 mile mark, and hydrated as I passed my car at the 5.5 mark. The fuel and hydration was refreshing. A second wind. To the side with the more gradual incline and back. Goal was to pace overall around 8:30, but faded to 8:34. The humidity, quads a bit sore, got the best of me. I may want to rethink that not eating when I'm hungry thing as well.. On a positive note, bumped into a marathoner that I met last fall and paced with them for a bit, didn't want to hold them back though. After my run, had to do yard work as well. :( 26k steps for the day.
My trail is about 10.5, the railroad crossing is about .25 from the parking lot, usually i'll run in circles if the train is holding me up, I was definitely in cool down mode as it passed today. 
Later that afternoon, caught up with my buddy T'Sean. Lunch and an adult beverage or two at Iron Abbey. Follow T'Sean's journey here. 
Sunday: Rest day, one for the streak. Streak day 932. Up past my normal bed time. Stayed up till midnight for a Phillies gm (They won!). Tried to sleep in, up at 7:30. Took my time getting ready, coffee, stretch, and out the door around 9. Smooth mile around the neighborhood. Started out a few seconds slow, trying to take it easy, but pacing and breathing got my pace down, and then backed off again towards the end. A bit humid out (80%), sweating, but a non-issue for a one miler. Today I discovered a hole in my current shoes (Saucony Grid Cohesion 11's), I enjoyed them, but only got 220 miles out of them. I knew I'd have to buy another round before my marathon, guess this will nudge me to buy sooner than later. lol... 
This was week 8 of of marathon training, using the below plan. Somewhat comfortable with the half marathon portion, I have been doing a few extra miles up to this point, but will soon adhere to the plan a bit more. 
Scheduled to do this week: 
Miles: scheduled for 27 / completed 32 
Strength Training(planks/crunches/leg raises/weights: scheduled for 60 min/completed 99.
To credit the images, it was pulled Coach Jenny Hadfield's training plans
marathon training program
Fall Schedule: 
10.07.18 - Army Ten Miler A revenge race for me. My 2017 review, here!

10/19-10/21 - Runner's World Half Festival. (5k & 10k). My 2017 5k review, here! 
Use code RWHALF18BIBRAVE for 10% off any/all 4 races! 3.8 Altra, 5k, 10k, Half marathon!

11.04.18 - TCS New York City Marathon! 

Spring Schedule 

04.06.19 - Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia. Use code BRHCPhilly to receive a free smart phone arm band. Check out my preview, here. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G

3 comments:

  1. I remember Monday's run all too clearly. I'm not making the same mistake tomorrow, gonna run early!
    That is an unacceptable shoe life IMO!
    Great week of running, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      Monday was a bit of a struggle. lol I usually keep an eye on the weather and arrange my sleep accordingly. It was a toss up between getting up early after a long day or just dealing with it after work. A struggle either way. lol
      220 miles is definitely unacceptable. I don't remember the last time I had a hole in my shoes! I usually wait till the tread wears down around 5-600 miles.
      Thanks, you're doing great yourself! ;)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...