Sunday, August 5, 2018

TCS NYC Marathon Training Week 7 - Weekly Running Update: Aug 5, 2018

Hi Everyone!

How's everyone's summer training going? What races do you have on the horizon? And how are you dealing with this weather? Humidity has been brutal in the northeast!


This week had a few reminders for me. Not every run will be a struggle, some runs that you are "used to" will be a struggle, and every once in a while you will see hard work pays off. 


My week in training: 


Monday: 5 miles after work. Probably my best 5 miler in while. Think there were multiple factors going on here. Sunday, was as well rested as can be. Maybe 1-2 light chores. Remainder of the day was laid back. Hydrated plenty, stretched twice, and stayed out of trouble (no alcohol). Weather was a non issue Monday, no heat/humidity issues. Went to bed early the night before, but didn't get up early Monday to run before work. Stretched before work, hydrated, and over to the trail by 5:15. Parked in the middle. Did the side of the trail with the hill at the end and back. Could tell early it would at least be a decent run, no tightness at all to start. First couple alerts were a bit faster than normal, backed off a tad, but went with it. Slowed down near the one hill, but picked it back up after. Wasn't working on race pace, but felt pretty good. Hydrated and stretched after.

Tuesday: 3.11 miles after work. Worked a few min late, but able to get home and out by 5:15. A bit tight compared to yesterday. lol... The worst hill is around 1.3, I always fade a bit there, but was able to pick it up after that.
Wednesday: 5 miles before work. Woke up early, tossed and turned, started thinking about running, told myself if I don't fall asleep in 15 min, I'll get up and go. Well, a few min passed, that's it, I'm up! Coffee, work out, stretch, morning routine, and out the door before 6! Could tell as I was geting ready that it wouldn't be an easy one. Never a good sign when you're still tight a you tie your shoes. lol Out the door, 95% humidity! 8:20 pace most of the way, slightly better for how I felt, faded towards the end. Neighborhood hills, about 370 ft ascent. Good times!
Thursday: 3.11 miles on my lunch break! Work from home day, lunch run! Today, I had to pick up my car from inspection. My normal route is zig zag through some neighborhood streets, and then a big loop around a few neighborhoods. Had to adjust my route to pick up my car. Pretty much just zig zagged. My streets have some inclines, but not as steep as the loop. Avoided the loop, avoided some hills. :)
Friday: 4 miles before work. Thursday night, I stayed up past my bed time. And not for anything special. After the Phillies gm was over (they won, yay!). Started watching another show. Didn't feel like going to bed. Well, guess what? Didn't feel like getting up early either! But I am trying to do morning runs on Friday to have a few more recovery hours before Saturday's long run. Coffee, work out, and out the door a few minutes after 6. Humid out, of course. This one was pretty much just through the motions. Started out a bit slower than preferred, and got it down to my 8:20 pace, faded the last mi and didn't care, trudged through this one, done.
Saturday: 10+ miles. Set my alarm, nope, up before that. Coffee, light breakfast, worked for a few minutes. At the trail (Pennypack Creekby 7. The forecast had plenty of rain in it. Left my glasses and Aftershokz behind. I hate complaining about the weather, maybe I was just tired. lol  It was a rough one! The humidity was 95%. From the parking lot, I park in the middle. Did the side with the hill at the end and back. I started out at my normal pace, but could tell it was going to be a long day faded to 8:30 by mid point. Fueled at the 5 mi mark, hydrated at the 5.5 mark as I passed my car. The fuel and hydration was definitely refreshing. I needed that. I didn't make me any faster, but it definitely helped overall. To the other side of the trail that has a gradual incline to the end. My pace faded from 8:30-8:40. I didn't care. I was done, no use pushing it. lol... Once I started my cool down, it started to rain! It felt fabulous. Could have used this earlier! I was only scheduled to do six today.. I've been trying to maintain around 10 on weeks I'm scheduled to do less. Thought about turning around sooner.. but hung in there. In a few weeks I will be adhering to the schedule a bit more!
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Streak day 925. One mile around the neighborhood. Probably pushed it slightly harder than I should for a rest day, but was my best 1 miler in over a yr! The first minute of my mile is up a steep hill, almost always a bit slower than I prefer. As I started up it, concentrated on form and breathing. Not necessarily pace. Once the street leveled out, got my first alert that my pace was better than my avg, decided to keep with it from there. My fastest 1 miler of the yr. I'll be taking it easy the remainder of the day. Off to the Phillies gm in a bit, will probably be a bit tired tomorrow. ;) Have a great day all, Cheers!

This was week 7 of of marathon training, using the below plan. Still "comfortable" for a few more weeks. Will be doing half marathon pace till about week 11. 
Scheduled to do this week: 
Miles: scheduled for 22/ completed 31 
Strength Training: scheduled for 60 min/completed 120.
To credit the images, it was pulled Coach Jenny Hadfield's training plans
marathon training program
Fall Schedule: 
10.07.18 - Army Ten Miler A revenge race for me. My 2017 review, here!

10/19-10/21 - Runner's World Half Festival. (5k & 10k). My 2017 5k review, here! 
Use code RWHALF18BIBRAVE for 10% off any/all 4 races! 3.8 Altra, 5k, 10k, Half marathon!

11.04.18 - TCS New York City Marathon! 

Spring Schedule 

04.06.19 - Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia. Use code BRHCPhilly to receive a free smart phone arm band. Check out my preview, here. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...