Sunday, August 2, 2020

Weekly Running Report: August 2, 2020

Hi Everyone! 

Hope you are all doing well!

How's training going? Doing any virtual challenges, or dare I say an IRL race? How'd they go? Doing any other outdoor activities to keep yourself busy?

Last week was the completion of #GVRAT1000K for me (review forthcoming). Easing my way back to a set schedule, but also on a hiking trip (Smoky Mountains) the past week..  It's a balance, right? 

My Week in Training: 

Monday: 3.11 miles. Shorter runs this week as I'm balancing it around hiking. Did 3.11 mi running, 5 hiking, plus walks yesterday. Alarm set early, Have an early hike in a bit, up before my alarm. Coffee, short workout (crunches, planks, pushups), and out the door by 5:30. Felt decent to start, overall fatigue to end. Shin wasn't too bad, but started to throb after. 
Monday hike: 3 miles, 500 ft ascent 
Trillium Gap Trail, Grotto Falls 
Not too technical, with a great fall to enjoy! 
I mentioned possible llamas in my social media posts, no such luck. They use llamas to hike supplies up to a remote location, timing it just right is a little tricky. 😪, but was still a beautiful waterfall to enjoy!
Full pics on Facebook
Tuesday: 3.11 miles. No hikes planned for the day, plans that can wait a bit. Slept in, till 8! Felt like a bum and behind schedule, even though there wasn't one. But enjoyed the rest. Coffee and short core workout, out the door by 9. Some concern about the late start, my route is the main street in Gatlinburg, many diners along the way. Run started out well, but fatigue eventually set in. There were a few more ppl out along my route, not horrible, but wouldn't want to wait much longer. 
Wednesday: 3.11 mi running. Failed to make any notes regarding today's run. Early hiking plans. Quick core workout before heading out. 
Wednesday hiking 4.6 mi
4.6 mi (2.3x2) 1000ft ascent.
A little steep, but spread out.
Not too technical, except a few wet areas of slippery rock.
Many cascades to enjoy along the way 🤗
My pics on Facebook are split into multiple posts. The many Cascades and the Bluffs
Full pics on Facebook
Thursday: 1 mile running. Leaving TN this morning, on our way to Ashville, NC! Up early, but only doing one mi, getting back to streak days. Coffee, quick core workout. Before starting my run, had a mini warm up. Lol.. our elevator went out, and an elderly couple was heading out with their luggage, from the 6th floor. Had to help them, done. Still not feeling speed for one milers, but starting to get my legs back a bit. Felt my hikes (and stairs), but felt decent. 
Thursday hikes: stopped in Pisgah National Forest
Moore cove trail was about 1.5 mi, smooth dirt/mud, slight incline to the falls. 
Looking glass falls is roadside, no hike needed, down a ramp to the falls.
Full pics on Facebook
Friday: 4 mi. Easing back to my training plan post gvrat, and now hiking. Scheduled for 40 min, would usually do 5 mi, but compromising a bit with a relaxed 4. Travel day, alarm set to get it done early, coffee and quick core workout. Scoped out my hotel area, no sidewalks for a bit or any parks nearby. Stopped by the concierge, and they guessed that I was looking for a run!  (Wonder which part of my outfit gave it away?) They pointed me to the nearby medical offices (still closed for a couple hours.) Failed to inform me if a couple things. Killer hill to start! Post run thanked them again, talked about the hill, they also forgot to mention there are bears up there! My run  was rough to start, humid as heck, but comfortable pace. 
Saturday: 16 miles. Busy week, but back in time for this week's "long run"! Tired just thinking about it! Home at a reasonable hour yesterday. Carb loaded, hydrated, and in bed early! Alarm set, and it was rough the first couple minutes, but got going. Coffee, "routine", and at my trail by 6. My trail  Pennypack Creek. Did the side to ByBerry Rd first (doing this section twice, a little more shade). Pacing started out 9:15 and was comfortable for a bit, but I was tired and heat picked up. Hydrated as I passed my car at 5.5. Off to the more open/gradual incline side to Rockledge Park. Pace slowed down a bit. Not stressing yet. "They say" long runs should be 45 seconds slower than goal. Hydrated at my car at 11+. Back to the ByBerry Rd side. Pace slowed down again, but still maintaining under 10. Eventually picked it up for a bit, a little tired but got it back down to 9:30. Not sure if it was the sun that got me in the middle, but got a second wind back on the shaded side. 
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak! Run Streak day 1653. Getting back to an actual rest day a week! Saturday, did an ice bath and hydrated like heck! Excellent night's rest, almost 9 hours! A little sore this morning (lower back, and overall fatigue). Coffee, stretch (back, shins,) surprisingly shin/ankle didn't feel too bad. Slight discomfort, but not bad. Out the door shortly after 8. Pouring out! Turned to light rain and stopped as I took off. Still humid. Short/steep hill to start, made it through alright. Was able to stretch my legs out a bit, felt good. Pace alerts started in 7:40's, hill and then incline to end, faded to 7:55. A little stiff, but felt decent. Taking it easy remainder of the day. Haven't had a rest day Sunday since before #GVRAT1000k (before May 1st). 
Weekly Summary:
Miles:  35 miles Scheduled vs 31.7 miles Completed (-3.3 mi), plus 10 hiking, 13 misc
Strength Training: Goal 120 minutes. 73 minutes completed. (-47 min) Not much strength training this past week. No gym or weights. Did a little core each morning before my run, that's about it. I'm sure the weights will feel heavy next week! 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest. 
Training Plan: 
Week 11 of 20 until Valley Forge Marathon using the below plan 
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

10.04.2020 -  Valley Forge Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...