Thursday, July 8, 2021

Philadelphia Marathon Weekend: Distances For All Levels of Running


Hi Everyone!

Hope you are well!

The Philadelphia Marathon Weekend has distances for everyone. An 8k, half marathon, marathon, and multiple combinations of distance challenges.
Let’s talk about the 8k. (presented by Rothman Orthopeadics). 8k translates to approx 4.97 miles. (if you are unsure of the metric to mi conversion.)
5 miles.. It’s an excellent distance if you are new to the world of running, an experienced runner working on speed, or looking to add on to one of the other distances. It’s a great way to participate in the Philadelphia Marathon Weekend for all levels of running.
I can relate to a few of these scenarios.
Before I started running for the sake of running, I started with a walk, progressed to a walk/run, to eventually a run. Couple miles to start and progressively adding from there. Enjoyed the continuous challenges and ups and downs. Once I got to about this distance, I continued to focus on form and then speed. 5 mi is still a large part of my training.
From a longer distance standpoint, the Rothman Orhtopeadics 8k can also be combined in:
Patriot Challenge (approx 18 mi): Dietz and Watson Half Marathon, followed by the Rothman Orthopeadics 8k.
18 miles in one day. This is an excellent challenge in my opinion. Marathon training is great, but for me, that wall always exists beyond that 20 miler. 18 is a nice sweet spot.
After my first half marathon, I continued rotating through the training plan for almost a yr and had an epiphany moment that had me searching for a full marathon plan. Entry/mid level plans, which often top out around 20 mi. If you are comfortable doing halfs and working your way up to a full, 18 mi is a great way to build up your miles towards a marathon.
Independence Challenge (approx 31.2 mi): Rothman Orthopeadics 8k on Saturday, followed by the AACR Philadelphia Marathon the next day. If you normally do a few warm up miles the day before your marathon, this will definitely add to the excitement!
Freedom Challenge (approx 44.3 mi): Dietz and Watson half marathon, Rothman Orthopeadics 8k, followed by the AACR Philadelphia Marathon the next day.
This one I cannot relate to, if you are up for a full, plus a half, plus an 8k, hats off to you!
Remember, we all started from somewhere, whether it’s 5mi or 44.3 mi. What got you started and what keeps you going?
Race information can be found here: https://www.philadelphiamarathon.com/races/
And remember, as a #PhillyMarathonAmbassador, I have a discount code for $15 off the half marathon, full marathon, or any of the challenges. Hit me up for the code!
Have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...