Sunday, January 23, 2022

Weekly Running Report: January 23, 2022

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all doing well! 

How's winter training going? Any races? Any crazy weather?! We've had some extremely cool days this week, but no precipitation since it's cooled down. No complaints there. (snow is fun for me briefly, but not when it lingers)

Reminder that if you are just skimming, that I have race and gear discount tabs on my blog site.#BibRavePro

Week 4 of Marathon Training for Jim Thorpe Marathon. 

My Week in Training:  

Monday: 7 miles, Strength Training: chest/core.
Monday.. Had the day off work (MLK day). Orig planned on doing 10 mi because I like to do extra on vaca days, but the forecast was all over the place and felt decent Sunday, did 10 mi on Sunday (supposed to be rest day) instead. It ended up snowing pretty heavily for a couple hours, and then there was a spike in temps and it turned to heavy rain, washing away all of the new snow. (old ice still around a bit). Weather clearing up this morning. Trail day it is! Well, ended up starting my day later than normal. TMI time... had some food last night loaded with habanero peppers. Not a good reaction this morning. Wasn't sure I could step out for that that long. Eventually started to feel better. Taking my time, being careful. lol.. Over to my trail around 10. Temps were what I expected, but I kinda ignored the wind warning. lol.. A little brisk at times. Went with the safest route (3 port o potties in 3 miles). Wasn't sure how I'd feel coming off of two double digit runs without rest, but felt pretty decent from the start. Trail conditions were slick mud in spots, but a non issue. for now. Rolling along, a couple sections ended up having some ice mixed in with the mud and couldnt see the difference. Cautious, when I could see or feel would move to the edge that was clear (but pretty close to the edge and could fall in a ditch, lol..) Pace was better at first, but faded up the incline. brought it back down on the decline, but faded again at the end. but still pretty happy with today overall, especially with how i felt earlier. No, I didnt use a restroom or have to go in the woods. lol.. 
Foam roll/stretch: complete
Tuesday: 7 miles, Strength Training: arms/shoulders/core
Alright, so having Monday off work, had the end of weekend sadness last night and didn't want to go to work today. Up slightly late, decent night's rest, but not completely in the mood. But once I got going, loved it. Coffee workout, out the door by 6. Feeling ready to take on the week! Felt pretty good most of the way. Legs weren't a fan of going back to the hills after 3 days of flatter surface, but still had fun with the hill challenge. Definitely happy overall! Felt good for a Monday, err Tuesday. lol
Foam roll/stretch: complete
Wednesday: 5 miles, Strength Training: chest/core.
Alrighty, today, is my Wed whatever day. (supposed to be rest day, I just try not to over do it). In bed early and got an excellent night's rest. Although multiple weird dreams and woke up ay 11:30 thinking it was 3, but that's besides the point. Up before my alarm, but comfy, waited it out a few. Coffee, workout and out the door around 6. Trying to slow down today, because I've been told to, and you're supposed to every once in a while. Trying to. Felt good throughout. Naturally picked it up a couple times on declines, did have to put some effort into hills, but most of the way tried for a more comfy pace. Definitely a different effort than Mon/Tues. 
Foam roll/stretch: complete
Thursday: 6 miles, Strength Training: arms/shoulders/core
Decent rest. Groggy to start, but coffee'd up and ready to get going! Feeling pretty decent. Workout, stretch my shin, ready to go by 6. Weather was warm last night cooling down to mid 30's with rain. Still raining this morning. But no ice/wintry mix yet, that's shortly after my finish time! Besides the weather, still excited to get out there. Hesitated at first to change to a warmer compression long sleeve, but didn't. Good call! Was hot once I warmed up! Ended up ditching my hat/gloves. Although fingers were cold at the end, but was in a groove, didnt bother. Since I took it easier yesterday, pushed it a bit today. Was work to maintain sub 8, especially after mid way hills and then the last couple hills to end. Still had fun tho. Was able to avoid all the deep puddles that I could see.. till around mi 4 where I was more concerned about a curb as I was hopping onto another sidewalk. Dark with a deep puddle just before. 'Doh, so close! Usually fail much earlier when there's deep puddles forming in intersections, but I saw and made a point to avoid thought today may be a success. lol.. Oh well, different shoes tomorrow!  
Foam roll/stretch: complete
Friday: 5 miles, Strength Training: chest/core.
Excellent night's rest and ready to take on the day! Coffee, workout, and out the door by 6. Wind chill in the negatives. But I was fine. Proper layers. My hands may have stung briefly, but not for long. Pacing better than expected for the extra layers and for pushing it yesterday. Guess I'm going to try to push to maintain again. lol.. Crazy how things can go well with extra layers and the cement feeling harder than normal, but it did. Breathing was on point as well. Sometimes it may take me a while when the air is that cold, but not as bad when making a concerted effort. It's when I forget where my breathing rhythm goes off and hyper ventilate till i get it back on track. On I go. Per usual, tough to maintain through hills in 3 and 4 mi. (one hill earlier but I get on track). But done and fun!
Foam roll/stretch: complete
Saturday: 18 miles, Strength Training: core.
18? If I was following my plan I would be doing 8. But I'm somewhat comfortable for what it calls for the several weeks or so. And one of my yearly goals is to get a few extra 18+ in. ;)
Have prioritized rest and has been a good week, thus far. Thus far. My on-call week for work started last night. They got me. :( Quick issue around 1:30 am, but was wide awake for what seemed like hours. Got a little more rest, but not much. Briefly thought about adjusting my alarm, but wanted to add a few miles and didn't want to be out there late. Up just before my alarm anyway. Coffee, core workout, wanted to be over there to my trail by 6:30, but was closer to 6:45. Such a slacker. lol.. 
Cold out there. Wind chill in the single digits for a few hours. Eventually going up, but not till later. Off I go. Got distracted early by tech issues with my phone/nike app. (i use strava on my watch/ nike on my phone) I like both. Nike has pace updates every minute, and I control my running playlist there. Not sure if it was Nike or my phone, but wasn't getting either to start. Took my right hand gloves off to fix. Got it going, but just a few minutes with no gloves made a huge difference! Numb and stinging! (left hand no issues) Didn't defrost till about 4 mi in. Besides that, everything else was fine with proper layers. Pacing in my goal range. First 90 min out there, I swear I only saw one group! Just a little cold out there. lol.. Eventually saw some of my regular trail buddies. 
Passing my car at 12 mi. Hydrated. I have been slacking on hydrating on long run days when it's cold, for sure. Doesn't help when your hands are numb and your drink is frozen. lol.. After passing my car, still felt ok, but knew 6 more mi may be rough. Briefly thought about adjusting, but continued to that end of the trail. Countdown going the entire out and back. Tired the last three, for sure, but glad I got it done. 
Foam roll/stretch: complete
Sunday: 2 miles, Strength Training: arms/shoulders/core.
Saturday, have a few drinks and stayed up past my bed time watching NFL playoffs. Slept in today till about 7:30! pretty late for me. Probably could of slept longer if I didnt need to use the restroom. lol.. Up, coffee, workout. Legs a lttle heavy and overall soreness from yesterday. Going out for 2 to end the week at 50 mi. Not sure why I couldn't just do one for the streak, but the round number sounded good. Pace a little better than expected. Wasn't pushing it. Could of pulled back a notch, but would of been a sore run no matter the pace. Done.
Wouldn't say it was a fun run, nor any issues with running. But kind of in a funk due to some personal issues. Please send some prayers. And if you're not vaccinated, do it, if not for you, for your loved ones around you. 
Foam roll/stretch: pending
What did I do besides run, workout, work, and chores? Not much this week. One outing to dinner. 
Movies/TV: Watched NFL Playoffs, Can't wait to watch Ozarks, but have been busy this weekend, and the usual reruns of The Office, Family Guy, etc. Not much else. 

Q: How about you? Anything exciting outside of running? Any adventures? Binge watching anything?

Weekly Summary:
Miles:  50.2 weekly  miles running 
Year to Date: 176.5 miles running 
Hill Goal (for the yr):  120 k: currently at: 9675
Strength Training: Goal 3 hours minimum,  4:48:50 completed. 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises, mountain climbers. Weights: biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest. 
Foam Roll/Stretch:  7 days
Weight (putting this out there. I know I don't have to earn my food/drink, but putting this out there, maybe I'll have a few less wings/beer, less over carb loading): on 01/01/21: 156. This week fluctuation: 150-156

Training Plan:  Week 4 of 20 using the below plan:  (loosely following long run day till it gets a bit longer)
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

3.27.22 - Philly Love Run Half Marathon (deferral from '20!) But this has always been my fav spring half! (official PR's there each time!, hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying that!)

05.01.22 - Broad Street Run? - usually the first Sunday in May. Hope it's back on this year! (at it's normal time, was moved to Oct in 21) Waiting for registration lottery. 

05.15.22 - Jim Thorpe marathon, but that's not until May! Have various travels going on this yr, was looking for an easy drive, affordable race and hotel. A flat scenic course that includes a train ride to the start! 

Fall: 
10.02.2022 - Chicago Marathon (via deferral from '20!, can't wait!)

11.18-20.2022 - Philly Marathon Weekend

Be sure to check out my Race and Gear discount pages from my blog site. #BibRavePro ;)

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! If you do any races(virtual or IRL), please remember to review them on BibRave.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...