Sunday, February 13, 2022

Weekly Running Report: February 13, 2022

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all doing well! 

How's winter training going? Any races? Any crazy weather?! We had mild to warm temps, finished off with a round of snow! 

Reminder that if you are just skimming, that I have race and gear discount tabs on my blog site.#BibRavePro

Week 7 of Marathon Training for Jim Thorpe Marathon. 

My Week in Training:  

Monday: 7 miles, strength training: chest/core
Sunday, usual end of weekend sadness, but got a decent night's rest. Better than most recent Sunday's. Up once and was wide awake, back to sleep and then groggy! crazy how we can go from wide awake to tired again so quickly. Coffee, got into rhythm. 
During one of my "breaks", saw that I got an email for guaranteed entry to Broad Street Run! Woohoo! Couldn't remember if my 2020 virtual counted towards auto entry. (didn't participate in the resched date of Oct 2021 due to a crazy fall, wanted to wait till the normal spring sched)
Anywho.. started the Monday morning in a good mood! 
Decent workout to start. a little more later as well. ;) Weather high 20's, pretty happy about that.
Last thu/fri warm temps washed away the snow, my entire route should be clear, pretty happy about that. And wearing some nice shoes that I haven't worn since before the snow.  
Did an 18 miler on Sat, expected some heavy legs and planned on a "comfy" pace, but I think I was in such a good mood, everything just clicked! Faster than expected from the start, felt good most of the way. Did fade through my hills a little, but not as much as usual. Wouldn't be surprised if this will be my best feeling run of the week. On a Monday! Never prejudge a Monday! 
Foam roll/stretch: complete
Tuesday: 7 miles, strength training: arms/shoulders/core
Could of used a better night's rest! In bed on time, but tossed and turned throughout. My watch even says I never got into a "deep" sleep. :(  Up, coffee, workout and out the door by 6. Was planning on doing that comfy pace today since I skipped it yesterday. Well, the weather helped enforce that! There was a light glaze on the streets today! Manageable, but had to stay very alert! Shorter strides, anytime I widened or applied a little extra force on push off would slide. . There was a few clear patches to work with, but not much. I have one street that is pretty pitch black, probably should of skipped, but was careful. Also slowed down turnarounds. (if you ever look at my strava, I have about 12 turnarounds). Comfy pace, but started to feel heavy legs a little. And then the inner voice of not slow down too much creeped in. lol.. Finished just slightly faster than planned. On a positive note, noticed as I headed into a turn that daylight appeared around 6:40. :) 
Foam roll/stretch: complete
Wednesday: 5 miles, strength training: chest/core
Focusing on getting a good nights rest. Even cut out caffeine earlier than usual yesterday. In bed on time and got a good night's rest. Except for some funky dreams. But that's besides the point. lol.. A little groggy, but got going. Coffee, workout, out the door by 6. Tried taking it easy yesterday, and plan to take it easy before the weekend.. so.. going to try to push it today! with focus on breathing, foot strike, and trying to catch myself from settling back. Off to an excellent start! I have about four noteworthy hills. Usually able to recover from the first one with no issues. Hung through the second but still had doubts about the later two. Not sure how I pulled it off, but I did. Pretty happy with how today went, rough towards the end, but fun. Was planning on starting my pace around where it ended. Figured about 12 sec per mi slower. Briefly thought about skipping my later hills to shave a little more off, but toughed it out.
Side note music wise: Master P's "make em say uhhh" played during my last mi. Got a good laugh and definitely let out some uhhh's through some of the struggle. lol.. 
Foam roll/stretch: complete
Thursday: 7 miles, strength training: arms/shoulders/core
Decent night's rest, yup, up at least once tho. Blah.. all that hydration. lol.. Up, a little groggy, but moving. Coffee, work out, and out the door by 6. Planning to take it easy today and tomorrow. Got into a comfy groove. Slightly faster than planned, but felt really good without pushing. Felt relaxed, efficient, and focused. A steady pace beginning to end. Not much of a fade through the hills. 
Not too many other side notes, except. Noticing more dog walkers wearing vests and/or lights out! Happy to see that. Be seen. Except for one dog walker (with a rottweiler) I saw today, I swear they hide in the shadows and come out like batman when I go by. lol.. It's a well lit street with just a few dark spots, I swear the timing is just so almost once a week. lol.. Keeps me on my toes! 
Foam roll/stretch: complete
Friday: 4 miles, strength training: chest/core
Decent rest, but could do better. Up, coffee, work out, have a few min to slack, eventually out the door. Plan is to take it easy, for real. Really want to relax the best I can to have a good run tomorrow. Most of my pace has plenty to do with the first few minutes. Was sure not to fly into things or get excited about a faster feel good pace. Relax and settle in. Wasn't too exciting but done. But sometimes I feel like my legs feel it more on a relaxed run than slightly faster run, if that makes sense. lol.. cruised through the hills, but could feel it and blah. lol.. 
Foam roll/stretch: complete
Saturday: 10 miles, strength training: core.
Fri, carb loaded, relaxed and probably my least amount of sleep of the week. Up early. but my watch also says it was my most "deep sleep" day of the week. Which is nice. Coffee. A little core workout as I wait for daylight and other "routines". lol.. I've been excited for today's run. Between getting into Broad Street, having a 10 miler on the sched, and awesome weather today, was so excited to get out there and try to get in a 10 mi speed test. Over to my trail slightly after 6:30, and it's daylight, yay! 
Weather was 49 ish, with some slight chill. Short sleeves and gloves to start. Wearing my racing shoes! Haven't worn them since my last race! So many more miles to be had, but rationing them for now. Excited, going to give it a whirl. My plan was basically focus on breathing, foot strike, catch myself from relaxing, and had a countdown the entire time! My countdown was basically trying to do each half faster than 39 min. each quarter under 19, etc. Off to an even faster start than planned. First couple alerts started with a 6. Not reasonable for me. Fading back to 7:20's and settling in. Slight inclines in the first and third quarters. First quarter went well. Felt bad as I passed my friends at the 1/4 mark, but they understand. On the return trying to split. First half success, under 38 min. Two intersections on the way to the next half, no traffic issues to slow me down. Hydrated briefly at my car. and off I go. Next Quart countdown on. Hung in there, but slowing down at the end of the incline. Cursing myself to hang in there. Able to regroup on the return and even get a little split on the last two mi. 10 mi PR! Went out to practice 10 mi speed. Goals of 7:30 and not fading past 7:45. Faded to about 7:36 and was able to bring it back down. Definitely happy with how today went. Hope to bottle it up for my in person half and 10 mi races later this season. :)  Also, one of the worst things you can do as a runner is compare yourself to others. I was on a high for a bit and later saw my friends training for Boston go further faster. lol... 
Foam roll/stretch: complete
Full pics on Facebook
Sunday: 5  miles, strength training: arms/shoulders/core
Decent rest. Up slightly late, 10:30pm! lol.. and slept in till about 6:30. Watch also shows that I got a decent amount of "deep sleep" again. Nice getting a couple of those after several days of barely getting quality rest. Did have some junk food and beverages yesterday. Supposed to be rest day, but anticipate more treats later, want to burn some calories. 
60 degrees yesterday afternoon, but snow in the forecast?! No way they get this right, right?! Well, guess what? Woke up to snow. Blah! lol.. Coffee, workout and taking my time. Snow doesn't look too bad yet. Decided to check out the trail. Yesterday was thinking about going back to the trail for a relaxing run since yesterday was focused work, wanted to enjoy the trail scenery a bit more. Packed my yak trax, but didn't think I would need them. Glad I packed them, I needed them! The sidewalks and roads were misleading, trail definitely had more! Planned on doing five, but told myself if it really isn't fun, I can just get my streak day in and go home. Settled in. Scenery was nice. Footing was a bit tricky, and extra work. Wasn't as much fun as I had orig planned, but glad I got it in. Also surprised how many people were out there! I didn't see a ton of people per se, I had a slightly late start of 8 am, but already a decent amount of tracks in the snow! 
Will be relaxing rest of the day. I'm sure there may be some beverages in my future. lol.. Have fun watching the Super Bowl and half time show! I cant wait for it! My favorite concert that I've been to was the up in smoke tour in 2000. Dr Dre, Snoop, Eminem, Ice Cube, Warren G. (Although I missed Warren G due to the security delays getting in) Nate Dogg and Xzibit were also featured. Also hoping the Tupac hologram makes an appearance! They can't play California Love without it!
Full pics on Facebook
What did I do besides run, workout, work, and chores? One outing to dinner/drinks. Super bowl coming up and day off work tomorrow (that's also V-Day). :) 
Movies/TV: Watched NFL Playoffs and Super Bowl tonight, trying to get back into college hoops, started another Netflix show, Archive 81, and the usual reruns of The Office, Family Guy, etc. 

Other drama in my life: has cleared up for the most part. But still get vaccinated if you haven't. if not for you, for your loved ones. After seeing a healthy un-vaccinated almost die and what it did to their family was so rough.

Not so exciting outside of work and running sometimes. Any questions to get to know me better? Ask me anything!

Q: How about you? Anything exciting outside of running? Any adventures? Binge watching anything?

Weekly Summary:
Miles:  45 weekly  miles running 
Year to Date: 330.8 miles running 
Hill Goal (for the yr):  120 k: currently at: 19274
Strength Training: Goal 3 hours minimum, 5:51:58 completed. 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises, mountain climbers. Weights: biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest. 
Foam Roll/Stretch:  7 days
Weight (putting this out there. I know I don't have to earn my food/drink, but putting this out there, maybe I'll be more mindful): on 01/01/21: 156. Current 31 day avg: 153.8

Training Plan:  Week 7 of 20 using the below plan:  (loosely following long run day till it gets a bit longer)
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

3.27.22 - Philly Love Run Half Marathon (deferral from '20!) But this has always been my fav spring half! (official PR's there each time!, hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying that!)

05.01.22 - Broad Street Run! - my registration from 2020 granted me a guaranteed entry to this year's race! (skipped '21) 

05.15.22 - Jim Thorpe marathon, but that's not until May! Have various travels going on this yr, was looking for an easy drive, affordable race and hotel. A flat scenic course that includes a train ride to the start! 

Fall: 
10.02.2022 - Chicago Marathon (deferral from '20!, can't wait!)

11.18-20.2022 - Philly Marathon Weekend

Be sure to check out my Race and Gear discount pages from my blog site. #BibRavePro ;)

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! If you do any races(virtual or IRL), please remember to review them on BibRave.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...