Sunday, September 2, 2018

TCS NYC Marathon Training Week 11 - Weekly Running Update: Sept 2, 2018

Hi Everyone!

How's everyone's summer training going? Anyone earn some bling recently? Let's see it, show it off! I don't have any races until October. Jealous of everyone racing at the moment, but trying to stay focused on my current schedule. This week's "challenge" was trying to decide when to do my long run since work has me covering something on Saturday..

My Week in training: 

Monday: 6 miles. Day off from work. Slept in! Felt good, but the set back to that was not beating the heat. Coffee, work out, stretch, but didn't get to my trail untill 9:30. Was somewhat hydrated, in hindsight, could have been a bit more. Pennypack Creek trail. Park in the middle. Did the side with a steady incline. Middle of the trail to the end is 2.75, from the end into a nearby neighborhood for a few blocks to get up to six, neighborhood has a steep hill, and humidity was rough! Turnaround and back to the trail and to the mid point. Faded on the way back. Hydrated plenty after!
Tuesday: 3.11 miles before work. Heat advisory in effect, up to beat the heat. Coffee, work out, stretch, and out the door by 6. Feeling the humidity, but not as bad as yesterday.
Tuesday, part 2!: 3.11 miles after work. After hearing my weekend running plans may be mixed up a bit due to work, I was itching to go back out to get a few more miles in, just in case. Heat advisory in effect, index of 100. Could feel it for sure, but got through it.
Wednesday: 4 miles before work. Coffee, work out, and out the door a few minutes after 6. Was definitely a bit tired beforehand. The 93% humidity didn't do me any favors. Through the motions for this run. Hydrating and stretching later for sure.
Thursday: 5 miles before work. Tired throughout the week. Between vacation last week, jet lag, time zone change, etc. Slow getting up each day. Today was no exception. Groggy, coffee helped a little bit. Workout and out the door around 6. Slightly cooler. May be doing my long run tomorrow. Plans to hydrate and go to bed early. 
Friday: 14 miles after work!? I have an odd work schedule Saturday, work in the morning and late afternoon, and on-call in between, was best to reschedule beforehand. Was not looking forward to doing a "long" run after work. But I knew if I started it around 5, I should be able to be done by sunset of 7:30. Packed my gym bag to get changed before leaving work at 4:30. It was raining, forgot my backup headphones! Flew by my house to grab them before heading to the trail. Probably only added 5 minutes, but still made me anxious. At the trail and able to start around 5 anyway. Trail , which is 10.5 (5.25 back and forth) Park in the middle. Did the more wooded side with the hill at the end first. To that end and back. Fueled at 5 mi, hydrated as I passed my car at 5.5. To the other side, that has a steady incline and back. Fueling at the 10 mi mark and hydrating around 10.8. Getting dark out, both directions of the trail are a bit shaded the first couple miles. Did the more wooded side again for 1.6 and back. Hydrated. I wasn't looking forward to the long afternoon run, but the weather was cooler with rain. Definitely not as bad as it could have been. Past my dinner time, hungry! Carb load (Pasta). And since I don't have a long run tomorrow, an adult beverage. ;)
 
 

August: my first 150mi+ month in a long time! I think being nervous I may miss some miles usually has me doing a bit extra. And then moving Saturday's run to Friday to end the month pushed it over.  

Saturday: 3.11 miles. Worked this morning 6:30-noon. Stretched, hydrated, and took my time getting out side. Started out a bit sore, but got into my groove and felt fine. I didn't end up working again until after 6pm. I could have gotten my long run in, but on-call for an IT project, was best not to be far from my pc. With my luck there would be issues if I ran away, and I'd be miles from my laptop. 
Sunday: 2 miles. Rest day, two for the streak. Run Streak day 953. I usually just do 1 on rest day, but it's my first 40 mi week in a long time! Was planning on checking work at 7. Alerts woke me up just after 6. Coffee, only worked for a few minutes, but still took my time getting out there. Stretch and hydrate, out the door by 8:30. Mile two starts off with a steep hill, and ends with a short down slope. Able to pace through, felt pretty decent. 
Next week is a cutback week, will try not to do too many extra miles. ;)
 

This was week 11 of of marathon training, using the below plan. 
Scheduled to do this week: 
Miles: scheduled to do miles 32 / completed  40.
Strength Training(planks/crunches/leg raises/weights: scheduled 60 min/completed 75
To credit the images, it was pulled Coach Jenny Hadfield's training plans
marathon training program
Fall Schedule: 
10.07.18 - Army Ten Miler A revenge race for me. My 2017 review, here!

10/19-10/21 - Runner's World Half Festival. (5k & 10k). My 2017 5k review, here! 
Use code RWHALF18BIBRAVE for 15% off any/all 4 races! 3.8 Altra, 5k, 10k, Half marathon!

11.04.18 - TCS New York City Marathon! 

Spring Schedule 

04.06.19 - Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia. Use code BRHCPhilly to receive a free smart phone arm band. Check out my preview, here. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...