Sunday, December 30, 2018

Flying Pig Marathon Training - Week 2 - Weekly Running Update: December 30, 2018

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is well. Anyone do any holiday runs or have one on New Year's, which ones? Everyone get their training in around the holidays?


My Week in Training:

Monday: 5+ miles.  Day off from work, plans around 10:30 (xmas eve rd trip), but enough time for a trail day! Yay! Set my alarm just in case, did I need that? Nope! Up around my normal time. Waiting for the sunrise as I enjoyed my coffee, worked out, and foam rolled. At my trail around 7. My trail Pennypack Creek. Still doing the more wooded side as I document my trail for ya. Park in the middle (Welsh and Terwood), doing the side to Byberry road and back. Slight incline with a hill at the end. 8:30 pace, 8:20 after the turn around. Stopped at mile markers 3.5-3.25 for pics and vids that include bridge #4 and 5.
Fill pics
Tuesday: 3.11 miles. Monday was Xmas Eve. Celebrations were had. ;) Went to bed at a decent hour, but did not get a good night's sleep. Up around 6, but taking my time to head out. No set schedule for presents, but wanted to be done running and available by 8. Coffee, work out, foam roll and head out around 7:15. Started out much better than expected. Decided to work on pacing/breathing and kept with it. Mile 1 was 7:45. Through the hills, 8:05 and maintained after that.
Wednesday: 4 miles before work. Went to bed early, tossed and turned to start, and woke up a few min early, but a decent night's sleep. Coffee, work out, stretch, hydrate, and out the door by 6. May have been a decent night's sleep, but was still groggy. Mile 1 (before the hills), 8:15 pace. Faded to 8:30+ through the hills. The brisk air did help, but still tired. Maintained around 8:30 most of the way.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Still catching up on sleep from weekend/holidays. Went to bed early, tried to sleep a few min late, which I did, not by much. Starting to feel more well rested. Coffee, work out, hydrate, foam roll, and out for my mile. Paced 7:40-7:50. Felt great.
Friday: 5 miles before work. Yesterday, I saw the forecast was calling for milder temps and rain at some point. Went to bed early, another great night's sleep. Up. As I was grabbing my coffee, started to hear the rain. So, it's going to be like that, huh? lol.. Work out, foam roll, and out the door by 6. Light rain with flood warnings... Crossed a stream going across the street immediately as I took off. First mile was around 8:00, 8:15 before the hills, 8:30 after. Wasn't going to worry about pace rest of the way. too busy dodging potholes/puddles. Submerged each shoe at least once along the way. Cuss, laugh it off and kept on going. Overall, felt decent, didn't mind the rain. Will take rain over snow any day, which I'm sure we'll be due for some soon enough..
Rainy days checklist: dress slightly warm just in case, backup headphones, backup shoes, ziplock bag for my phone, and no glasses. Fun times!
Saturday: 8 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! Hydrated well, carb loaded, and got a great night's rest. Didn't bother setting the alarm. Up by 5:15. Coffee, foam roll, hydrate, and at my trail around 7:15. The forecast said 49! Short sleeves? hmm.. When I stepped outside, felt the wind chill 45, so no. My trail Pennypack Creek. Did the more wooded side again. Started out a bit fast and then settled in. Beautiful weather, wasn't really paying attention to pace, around the hills was a few seconds slower than preferred picked it up after the turn around.  Paused at mile marker 3.25-3.0 for pics. An old school post office, that's also a side entrance to the trail. .1 down from there, paused to take pics/vid  of the geese. Resumed. Past my car at 5.25, fueled, hydrated, and ditched my hat and gloves. On to the other side, a more gradual incline for about 1.4, picked it up again on the way back. Could feel the sun towards the end, it was wonderful!
Full Pics
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak day 1,072. Slept in a few minutes.. 6:30! Slow moving. Coffee, hydrate, stretch.. Finally got out the door around 8:15. Once I was outside, the cool air felt great, took off! Worked on breathing/pacing, was happy with my pace when I got to the top of the first hill, maintained it rest of the way! Plan is to hydrate plenty today. Wear my compression socks, take it easy, a few beverages during football, but not too many. lol.. and hopefully get a good night's rest!
This was week 2 marathon training, using the below plan.
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled  24 / completed 27
Strength training: scheduled 80 min/ completed 101 min
Foam roll:  7 days
Hydration goal met:  6


Fall Schedule: 
With the TCS NYC Marathon/and Philly Marathon coming to it's conclusion, so does my fall race schedule. 

Spring Schedule 

03.31.19 - The Love Run! Love the Love Run Philadelphia half marathon! Check out my review from last yr, here. 

04.06.19 - Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia. Use code BRHCPhilly to receive a free smart phone arm band. Check out my preview, here. 

05.05.19 - Broad Street Run! - Love this race, but won't be doing it. Sometimes you have to pass on repeat things to try something new! My review from last year, here.  

05.05.19 - Flying Pig Marathon! I am officially booked. Looks like a fun themed race, a great spring challenge, and somewhere I've never been (Cincy, Oh)! Hope to also check out Indiana and Kentucky while I'm out there! 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...