Sunday, January 13, 2019

Flying Pig Marathon Training - Week 4 - Weekly Running Update: January 13, 2019

Hi Everyone! 

Hope everyone is doing well. 

How's everyone's winter training going? Do any races or training for one, which one's?

This was week 4 of marathon training for me. A few brisk days, a trail day, and a touch of snow!

My Week in Training: 

Monday: 5 miles before work. Sunday was rest day. Did plenty of that. But did indulge in a few beverages during football. In bed by 10, up a few min before my alarm, but definitely tired. Coffee, work out, foam roll, and out the door by 6. 8:15 pace before the hills, maintained around 8:30 after. The brisk air helped, tranquil, but through the motions. Coffee and hydration rest of the day.
Tuesday: 3.11 miles before work. Excellent night's rest, feeling refreshed. Coffee, work out, foam roll, and out the door by 6. Feeling much better than yesterday. 8:05 before the hills, 8:15 after. Was going to try to maintain there, but picked it up a bit. Felt great.
Wednesday: 4 miles before work. A bit tired after work last night, took a nap on the couch after dinner. Well, trying to go to bed, tossed and turned for a bit. Woke up before my alarm, but a bit groggy. Coffee, work out, foam roll, and out the door by 6:10. Temps weren't that bad, but 25 mph wind gusts. lol..  Against the wind, dodging flying saucers (trash can lids). But felt pretty decent.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Wednesday night, had family plans after work. Home a few minutes before bed, went right to bed. Excellent night's rest. Adjusted my alarm clock to sleep in a few min, did'nt happen. Up at my normal time, refreshed. Coffee, work out, foam roll, and out the door by 6:15 for my 1 miler. Started out at 7:30 pace, could feel it in my quads, maintained for 7:45. Brisk air and flurries was invigorating!
Friday: 5 miles before work. Thu night was a small work get together after work. A couple beverages, but did not over indulge. Home around bed time, but not tired yet. Up about an hr later than normal. Still woke up before my alarm. ;) coffee, work out, foam roll, and out the door by 6. Brisk out! Before I started, weather app showed 26, almost time to wear pants. Lol.. it was chilly, but nice. Happy with my pace 8:05 before hills, 8:15 after, and maintained 8:20. Felt great, but did take a bit to defrost after!
Saturday: 7 miles. "Long" run day. Got a great night's rest, in bed around 9. Have lunch plans later, set my alarm just in case. lol.. up by 4:30! Took my time getting ready. Coffee, foam roll. Check the weather, around 20 degrees, ok, time to wear pants. lol... Maybe someday I'll do a post on what I wear at what temps. someday. Started with a light long sleeve and my winter pullover. As I got to my trail, around 7:15. Decided to go with a base layer long sleeve and winter pullover. My trail Pennypack Creek. From the mid parking log, did the more wooded side first (to Byberry Rd and back). Wasn't concerned with pace today, just getting comfortable and keep an eye on breathing if the cool air was an issue. By 1 mile, comfortable temp wise (breathing non issue), was actually warm! Pullover and base layer was more than enough. Gloves were on/off throughout. Maintained 8:25 pace most of the way, faded a bit towards the end. After passing the mid parking lot, (5.25 mi) head on over to the other side for a bit. Stopped for pics on the way back. Pics from mile markers 2.50-2.25. My rail trail actually has a train that passes through! Pics also include bridge #7.
Full Pics
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak day 1,086. Saturday, chance of snow overnight. Well, it did. Just thankful that it wasn't during the week or a long run day. Took my time getting ready because I knew I would stay out there to shovel, and since it's Sunday would try not to make too much noise before 8am. (if i was during the week, I'd be shoveling no matter how early). Could tell the plows went by on the side street, but not my street yet. Time for yaktrax just in case. I usually take the pace easy on snow days, today was comfortable start to finish. Shoveled afterwards, plan on taking easy the remainder of rest day.
This was week 4 marathon training, using the below plan.
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled   24 mi / completed  26 mi
Strength training: scheduled  80 min/ completed 97 min
Foam roll:  7 days
Hydration goal met:  7 days 

Spring Schedule 

03.31.19 - The Love Run! Love the Love Run Philadelphia half marathon! Check out my review from last yr, here.   Use code LOVEBR10 for 10% off!

04.06.19 - Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia. Use code BRHCPhilly to receive a free smart phone arm band. Check out my preview, here. 

05.05.19 - Broad Street Run! - Love this race, but won't be doing it. Sometimes you have to pass on repeat things to try something new! My review from last year, here.  

05.05.19 - Flying Pig Marathon! I am officially booked. Looks like a fun themed race, a great spring challenge, and somewhere I've never been (Cincy, Oh)! Hope to also check out Indiana and Kentucky while I'm out there! 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...