Sunday, February 3, 2019

Flying Pig Marathon Training - Week 7 - Weekly Running Update: February 3, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well.

How's training going, what race(s) are you training for? How did everyone do through the Polar Vortex? Indoor/outdoor training?

This was week 7 of marathon training for me, a bit chilly for a few days.

My Week in Training:

Monday: 6 miles before work. Sunday was a very relaxing day. No grueling chores to do. Got an excellent night's rest. No Sunday Funday beers while watching sports. Up before my alarm. Coffee, work out, hydrate, foam roll and out the door by 6. Comfortable pace. 8:20 before the hills, maintained 8:30 throughout. Temp dipped after I started. lol.. The app said 30 as I got dressed, but 22 by the end (30 vs 20's is a difference in me wearing pants.. lol). Chilly during the cool down. 
Tuesday: 3.11 miles before work. Went to bed early, which sometimes back fires. Up before 4. Took my time, but wide awake/felt good. Coffee, work out, hydrate, foam roll, and out the door by 6. First mile felt pretty good. Going into my least fav hill (mi 1-2), 7:55 pace, 8:05 after. Paced through it, trying to conserve energy, pleasantly surprised after. Hills throughout my run, but this one plays a big factor in my neighborhood runs. Maintained remainder of the way. 
Wednesday: 4 miles before work. Not a good night's rest. Had to work for a few at 9, not late, but went to bed at 10 and was up for a bit. Woke up after midnight with a stomach issue, up till about one, not comfortable. Woke up for the day a few min before my alarm clock. 4:45. Coffee, work out, hydrate, and out the door around 6:20. A few min later than usual, but its my work from home day. Just have to be done/cleaned up by 7:30. Tight and tired throughout. mile 1 was about 8:15, 8:30 after the hills and maintain. A bit chilly out, but proper layers. Didn't need a face mask, close, but not today.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Decent night's rest. Woke up at 4, able to fall back to sleep till 5. Work called 1 min after my alarm. lol.. Coffee, work out, hydrate, foam roll. Out the door around 6:15. A bit chilly out. 1 degree (wind chill -9). Proper layers, chose full face mask over fogged glasses. A bit tight to start, but happy with my pace. Yesterday we had some snow, wasn't sure if I'd have to alter my route, but the roads were clear. Able to continue onto my normal 1 mi route that utilizes a sidewalk along a busy road. Along the way, my fingers began to freeze a bit. Two layers of gloves (I admit, my second layer were some old regular gloves that could use replacing). mi 1 was under 8, but couldn't feel my fingertips to stop my watch or phone. Had to continue on until I was inside my home to pause/stop. I won't complain about the cold, making the most of it, the mid west has it much worse.
January/ Year to date: 127 miles. Runstreak day: 1,104. Also completed a hill challenge on Strava: 2000+ meters (6883 ft ascent). Just checking how my neighborhood hills stack up against others. Believe me, I rarely seek extra hills. lol.. But hey, hills are good for you, right?! :)
Friday: 5 miles before work. Got a good night's rest. Up before my alarm. Coffee, work out, hydrate, foam roll, and out the door around 6. Still a bit chilly out, but scheduled for 5 and going to get my 5 in before work. Proper layers. Hands felt ok at first, only wore my running gloves to start and brought my extra gloves just in case. Fingers did eventually sting for a bit, but was concentrating more on breathing and form, didn't want to clumsily grab my extra gloves. Continued on. 8:15 ish before my least fav hills, 8:25 after and maintained throughout. My hands did warm up after 15 min or so. 
Saturday: 7 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! Well.sorta yay. Snow yesterday, warming up today but still a bit chilly this early. The roads were fine, but trail was still covered. #yaktrax day. Took my time getting ready. A few min later than usual. Head out, car was frosted shut. another slight delay. Over to the trail a little after 7:30. Bundled up and wearing yaktrax. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle (welsh and terwood rd). Did the more gradual incline side first to Rockledge Park and back. Passed my car at 5.25, didn't bother to hydrate. Over to the other side of the trail for a few min and back. From the start, could tell pace was going to be affected. 8:45 and not getting any easier. Faded a bit to the 8:50's. Gave up trying to get it down, just going along for the ride. Tight from being bundled up and extra effort for the snow/yaktrax. Fingers stung for a few minutes as well, but warmed up. Fun times. :)
Trail pics/vid are from mile markers 1.75-1.5
Full pics
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak day 1,107. Slept in 'till almost 6am! I'm such a slacker.. lol.. Took my time getting ready. Temps going up, but not waiting any longer to head out. 7:30. Sunny, not that cold. Forgot my headphones! Didn't bother turning around for them. Worked on breathing/pacing. Felt good, but I prefer to have my headphones as well. Taking it easy remainder of rest day, tonight's the super bowl, still going try to get a good nights rest somehow. Monday's are going up a mile this week. 
This was week 7 marathon training, using the below plan.
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield

Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled   25 mi / completed   27 mi
Strength training: scheduled  80 min/ completed 105 min
Foam roll:  7 days
Hydration goal met: 6 days (hydrated after my long run but slacked later)


Spring Schedule 

03.31.19 - The Love Run! Love the Love Run Philadelphia half marathon! Check out my review from last yr, here.   Use code LOVEBR10 for 10% off!

04.06.19 - Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia. Use code BRHCPhilly to receive a free smart phone arm band. Check out my preview, here. 

05.05.19 - Broad Street Run! - Love this race, but won't be doing it this year. Sometimes you have to pass on repeat things to try something new! My review from last year, here.  

05.05.19 - Flying Pig Marathon! I am officially booked. Looks like a fun themed race, a great spring challenge, and somewhere I've never been (Cincy, Oh)! Hope to also check out Indiana and Kentucky while I'm out there! 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...