Sunday, March 3, 2019

Flying Pig Marathon Training - Week 11 - Weekly Running Update: March 3, 2019

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well. How's training going? Any recent races or races coming up, which ones? How's weather affecting your training? We had a wind day(?), and a snow day this week in SE PA and may have another snow day tomorrow.

My Week in Training:

Monday: 7 miles before work. Decent night sleep, but slept until my alarm, probably could of used a little more. Coffee, work out, hydrate, and out the door by 6. It was a bit windy today! Yesterday, warnings were in effect, but didn't hear the howling until later in the evening. Well, it was strong this morning! 5 min before heading out, heard transformers pop a couple times, we lost power for a min. The first few minutes of my run, it was cool and a bit breezy to say the least. It picked up! Every other block had branches down in street, had to pay attention to overhead branches! Mid way, a section of my neighborhood lost power. Street blocked off by cop cars due to a street light being out. Pacing: 8:30 goal. Settled in after a few minutes. Could feel the wind (invigorating at first), hills throughout took their toll at the end, but maintained.
Tuesday: 3.11 miles before work. Woke up for a min at 4 am, and then work called at 4:10. That's it, I'm up! Coffee, work out, hydrate, foam roll, and out the door by 6. I always check the weather before heading out. Today was in the high 20's, chill high teens. It's been a few days since I've worn pants, can't find them! Didn't want to get too behind sched before work, no pants today. A bit chilly at first, but warmed up. Was wide awake and felt decent, goal pace 8:15. 8:23 after the worst of the hills and able to bring it back down. Trying to ration energy going up steep hills to have more as it levels out. It's been working (for the most part)!
Wednesday: 4 miles before work. A bit more tired than yesterday. Sleep approx 10-4:50 with one disturbance, slept until my alarm. Groggy. Coffee, work out, foam roll, out the door around 6. Chilly again this morning, but I had my pants ready! lol...  Felt decent at first. 8:10 before the hills, 8:25 to 8:20 after. Still groggy, tried taking my hat/gloves off a few times to help wake me up! Helped a bit, but not much.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Wed, went to bed early! Took a few min to fall asleep, but got an excellent night's sleep. Finally. Well rested, up before my alarm. Coffee, work out, hydrate, and out the door by 6:10. Dusting of snow overnight, but roads were clear. That was a lie! They were a  bit slick! Got my footing, worked on cadences, felt good.
Thu was Feb month end.
Month End Summary:
Feb: 125 mi
YTD: 252 mi
100+ mi month: 47 straight months
Run Streak 1,132 straight days
Strava Climb Challenge: 2000 meters of hills for the month (6500+ft ascent)
Friday: 5 miles before work. Went to bed early Thu night, excellent night sleep. Up before my alarm! On my way to get coffee, oh crap, it snowed! Work out, hydrate, foam roll. Head out to run by 5:55. Maybe lost a few min looking for snow gear. Yaktrax day! Fresh powder the entire way! A few tire tracks, but not plows yet. Extra layers and yaktrax, a bit tight today. Normal for a snow day. Through the motions, no traction issues, almost caught myself day dreaming though. Don't do that under slippery conditions! Pacing: goal of 8:30, could have easily faded to 8:40. 8:38 after worst of the hills, 8:35 most of the way, pushed it a bit towards the end. Had to shovel, clear the cars, get ready for work. On my way to work, noticed my key light blinking, I left my key in another jacket! Day that started out ahead of time, almost 10 min late to work, doh!
Saturday: 20 miles Long run day, trail day, yay! uh.. scheduled for 16? Yes, but the plan calls for 2-20's and I may have a scheduling conflict for the first one. May even have a conflict on 18 mi day. Gong into this week, kept telling myself this is 20 mi week, trying not to think about it being extra. Went to bed early last night, got a great night's rest. Coffee, light breakfast, foam roll. Heading out, my car had a coating of ice! Neighborhood seemed fine, packed my yaktrax just in case. At my trail by 7:15. My trail Pennypack Creek. Mid parking lot Welsh and Terwood Rd. From what I could tell from the parking lot, trail was clear with a few patches still covered in snow. Went with no yaktrax. Did the gradual incline side to Rockledge Park first. A few patches of snow, but non issue. Couple miles in, trail completely covered in slush, and had to keep an eye out for slush puddles. Completely submerged my shoes a couple times. Pay attention and laugh it off. That side and back. Fueling every 5 mi, hydrating each time I pass my car. Over to the other more wooded side to Byberry Rd. A few spots covered in snow, but not slushy. That side and back to the gradual incline side again and back to wooded side for a bit. Pacing: goal was to pace 9:00-9:09. (4 hr marathon pace). At 9 through 15 mi, felt good. Faded, could feel it 16-18 mi, 18-20 really tightened up.
Trail pics are from mi marker .50-.25
Full Pics
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak day 1,135. Waking up, everything was tight. Back. Going down stairs was a bit painful. Took my time getting ready. Coffee, read the news (play on internet), foam roll. Foam rolling was a bit painful, but good. Eventually head out around 8:30. Legs felt a bit heavy, expecting pace to be closer to 8:15-8:30. Worked on cadences to start, pace was 7:30. Trying to take it easy but still work on cadences, faded to 7:40's. Definitely better than expected. Taking it easy remainder of the day, hydrate, wear CEP compression socks. May have to shovel snow tonight and tomorrow morning though.   
This was week 11 marathon training, using the below plan.
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield

Weekly Summary:
Miles: scheduled  35 mi / 41 completed  mi 
Strength training: scheduled 80 min/ completed 114 min
Foam roll:  7 days
Hydration goal met: 7 days 


Race Schedule 

03.31.19 - The Love Run! Love the Love Run Philadelphia half marathon! Check out my review from last yr, here.   Use code LOVEBR10 for 10% off!

04.06.19 - Hot Chocolate 15k Philadelphia. Use code BRHCPhilly to receive a free smart phone arm band. Check out my preview, here. 

05.05.19 - Broad Street Run! - Love this race, but won't be doing it this year. Sometimes you have to pass on repeat things to try something new! My review from last year, here.  

05.05.19 - Flying Pig Marathon! I am officially booked. Looks like a fun themed race, a great spring challenge, and somewhere I've never been (Cincy, Oh)! Hope to also check out Indiana and Kentucky while I'm out there! 

09.15.19 - Rock n Roll Philly Half Marathon. Use codes "19RNRBRP16" to save $16 off the half/full marathon and "19RNRBRP6" to save $6 off the 5k/10k!

11.24.19 - Philadelphia Marathon. 

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 
If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave: Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...