Sunday, July 19, 2020

Weekly Running Report: July 19, 2020

Hi Everyone! 

Hope you are all doing well!

How's training going? Doing any virtual challenges, or dare I say an IRL race? How'd they go? Doing any other outdoor activities to keep yourself busy?

Rough week as far as cancellations go, huh? For me it was Chicago Marathon and all of the Philly races (Broad Street, Love Run, Philly Marathon). But one thing we've learned through all this, running is definitely not canceled. I have run more miles the past three months than any month before all this... 

Were you affected this week by cancellations as well?

I'm still doing the Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee (for another week or so),  Experiencing some over training aches/pains, but getting through it (for now).  I can almost see that finish line, can't wait! 

I have also found a small marathon that may have a chance.. Week 9 of 20 of marathon training. 

My Week in Training: 

Monday: 7 miles before work. Sunday, I did an additional long run to cap the previous week at 60 mi. Expected to be a little sore today.. I did an ice bath, used my TENS machine, wore recovery socks, hydrated well, and in bed at a decent time.. Tired to start. Completely asleep when my alarm went off, still mid dream! Am usually up by my alarm, not even close today! Coffee and taking my time, workout, stretch, and out the door by 6. "Cooler" out, but still humid. Slow to start and just kept getting slower. Strongly considered cutting today short. Gave up on pace and drudged through to get my 7 in. Wasn't pretty, but done!
Tuesday: 5 miles before work. Forgot to make any notes.. but workout and 5 mi day, done!
Miscellaneous cardio: 2 mile walk after work. Did a 2 mi stroll with my spouse over near my trail. Pennypack Ecological Restoration Trust. Some dirt trails through the woods/light hiking, some grass trails around a farm. Partially somewhat maintained, but overgrown. Stopped by a farm with horses, but the rancher called them in shortly after we got there.
Full pics on Facebook
Wednesday: 7 miles before work. Tues, iced my ankle/shin, failed to foam roll or stretch much. A bit sore this morning. Stairs hurt. Coffee, work out, stretch, and out the door around 6. Ankle/shin sore to start, but got more manageable early. Much better than expected after the earlier discomfort this morning. Faded through the hills, but not as tired as at the end today.
Wednesday (part2!) 5 miles after work. Still chasing this GVRAT thing, doing at least one 2-a-day to get at least 2 double digit days in.. Wore my compression socks during work to try to freshen my legs up for after work. Over at my trail by 5. My trail . Doing the more wooded side to Byberry Rd and back. Started out feeling decent, more comfortable than this morning. Heat started to set in, and as shaded as this side is, I swear the sun found me through the woods more than I expected it to. Feeling it in my legs before the turnaround, tried picking it up at the turnaround, felt decent and consistent remainder of the way, but not really splitting. Warm out, another reminder why I changed to mornings to beat the heat, but glad I went!
Thursday: 5 miles before work. Wed night, iced my ankle/shin, foam roll and stretch before bed. Good night's rest, up a few times and again before my alarm. Up and ready to go. Some ankle/shin discomfort going down stairs, a little concern, but not much. Coffee and workout. Glad I was up early, didn't feel rushed. Light foam roll my back, stretch my shins, and out the door by 6. Ankle/shin felt decent to start. Pacing was comfortable, but fading along my fav hills, blah! lol.. Half mi straight away with a couple inlines before the end, was able to regroup and pick up the pace to finish out. Overall felt decent. Shin started to throb shortly after my run though... 
Friday: 5 miles before work. Thu, wore compression socks, hydrated, stretched a little. Participated in Thirsty thurs, but hydrated along the way. Failed to foam roll or stretch, in bed on time. Decent rest, slept till my alarm. Coffee, workout, roll, stretch, and out the door by 6. Slow from the start! Pushed it a little bit at first, but sore, pulled back. 9 ish before hills and faded along. Went into a more conservative approach to get ready for tomorrow's long run. We'll see how that goes.. 
Saturday: 14+ miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! Ruh roh, excessive heat warnings for the next few days! Fri, ankle/shin seemed to be ok remainder of the day. Iced a bit and stretched. Hydrated like heck, carb loaded, relaxed an din bed by 9:30. Alarm set, but up around 4! Up for a few minutes and then decided I may as well try to get to my trail even earlier! Coffee and morning "routine", stretch, and at my trail shortly after 5:30. Temps not bad yet, but a little humid. My trail . Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Going to to the side to ByBerry Rd and back first. Doing this in case I have to do a section twice, will be the more shaded side. Comfortable to start. 9:30 ish Going to be a long, possibly grueling day, not going to over do it. Felt pretty decent. At the ByBerry Rd end (2.6 mi), decided to do some time in the nearby business complex. A little over 2 miles and back to the trail. At 7 mi, bumped into a small group of friends. They split up shortly thereafter. If I wanted to hang with either, either slow it down, or pick it up. Told my friend my current pace, sure we'll hang. Of course we picked it up the next few miles. Fueled and hydrated at my car (9  mi). Off to the more open/gradual incline side to Rockledge Park. Could feel the sun a bit and a little steam off the creek. At the Rockledge turnaround, was apparent I would need to add at least .5 mi somewhere. Pace slowing back down to my comfortable pace. Told my friend to take off, but I'm pretty sure he was trying to push me, not happening. lol.. On the way back, we took a side trail from Lorimer Park to add that .5, steep decline to start. Plan was to go a few minutes, but we went a bit further to a landmark. Turnaround, back, up that steep hill, back to the main trail, and back to the parking lot to end at 14.5.  Was not planning on doing extra, but it happens (math), and when seeing that near then end, no plan on going the extra to cap at 15. lol.. Overall a good day though. Comfortable to start, comfortable to finish, with a little extra push in the middle. 
Full pics on Facebook
Sunday: 10+ miles. Yup, another double digit day. It was rough! Saturday, did an ice bath and hydrated well. Failed to foam roll or stretch. Shame on me. Offset hydration with beverages and stayed up past my bed time. Sunday is usually my day to sleep in, but with the heat wave I should be rethinking that. Up around 6, but really taking my time.  Coffee, stretch my back out and over to the trail by 7:30. Parking lot packed! That's what I get for sleeping in! Last parking spot. My trail . Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Doing the more open/gradual incline side first to Rockledge Park. Pacing goal, just keep it around 10. Slow to start and paced at 9:50 most of the first half. Definitely feeling yesterday's run, poor rest, and the heat. Fueled/hydrated at  the parking lot at 5.5 mi. Briefly thought about calling it quits, but resumed. Off to the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd. Shade definitely helped, but still warm out. Pacing faded to 10, but split on the way back to bring overall down to 9:45. Tired, drained, sore, but done. And glad I did. Just wish I got out a little earlier.
Full pics on Facebook
Weekly Summary:
Miles: 62 (includes 2 mi walking)
#GVRAT1000k: 5.2 mi/day avg needed to complete. Current avg: 7.65 (05/01-current)  
612.19 miles done, 22.81 to go! 

Strength Training: Goal 120 minutes. 154 minutes completed. 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest. 
Training Plan: 
Week 9 of 20 until Valley Forge Marathon using the below plan 
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

05.01-08.31.2020 The "Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee 1000k". A good challenge for me. The daily/weekly/monthly average is just a bit beyond my training. My peak marathon training weeks barely meet it. Should be a good challenge to keep me ready till fall training. 

10.04.2020 -  Valley Forge Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...