Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Product Review: Luvo Flipped Bowls!

Disclaimer: I received Luvo Flipped Bowls to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well!


I'm excited to have the opportunity to test and review Luvo Flipped Bowls! Additional disclaimer, I am certainly no food critique or dietitian, but I certainly love to eat and will do my best to provide feedback! If you have any questions, please let me know!


Luvo is flipping the script with their Luvo Flipped Bowls! Packed with veggie protein,  generous portion of whole grains, chicken raised without antibiotics, vegetables, and low in sodium! Easy to cook, and even comes in a environment friendly paperboard bowl!


Ordering: the ordering process was super easy! Explore to https://shop.luvoinc.com/, all of the Flipped Bowls, Steam in Pouch, and Bowls will be listed out. You can preview the nutrition facts and ingredients before adding items to your cart. Continue shopping till checkout! Checkout process is smooth, and you can even pay using paypal! I love this option, no need to look up your card info!


Once my order was placed, received it within two business days!
 
I will be providing updates over the next couple weeks as I test each of the four meals. Let me know if you have any questions along the process!

Testing, in no particular order:

1. Chicken Meatballs In Garlic White Wine Sauce: 
Microwave time (3.5 min plus 1 min wait)
Spiral wheat pasta. I eat tons of pasta, but rarely eat wheat. To me, the pasta usually doesn't feel quite right and leaves a funny taste. The pasta was near al dente and didn't leave a "wheaty" aftertaste! If the remaining three meals are like this, my opinion of what wheat pasta can taste like will definitely change! White wine garlic sauce is a nice, light, healthier take on a scampi. Perfect amount of white beans, a good portion of greens (but not overwhelming), and meatballs. Six meatballs! A smaller sized meatball than what I'm used to, but with six I was pleasantly surprised! Topped with a generous portion of parmesan and mozzarella cheese. I usually add cheese multiple times during a pasta meal, no need for that today!
The pasta was cooked perfectly, the sauce, beans, greens, and meatballs were seasoned and spiced well. There was just a touch of red flakes, but wouldn't overwhelm someone that doesn't tolerate heat. Overall, I would definitely recommend this meal. Best part about this was that I never felt like I was eating diet food, but eating healthy, enjoyed my meal, and appetite was met.

2. Chicken Meatballs in Tomato Basil Sauce: 
(Microwave time 3.25 min, +1 min wait)
Of the four flipped bowl meals, I may be a bit more critical of this one. Growing up Italian, marinara sauce and meatballs is my go-to. And now it's my go-to for carb loading before a long run as well. 
Pasta, was slightly harder than I prefer. But this may be due to the fluctuation in microwave settings and time. May be trial and error to get the texture just right. The actual taste of the wheat pasta was still better than other brands of wheat pasta that I have tried previously. 
Sauce, meatballs, and cheese: I may not have stirred well enough before eating. There were bites that were seasoned very well that I enjoyed, but there were also a few bights that were lacking in seasoning. Again, this may have been me not stirring well enough. Also, as an Italian, we are known for adding extra seasoning to most marinara's. An adequate amount of cheese, didn't feel the need to sprinkle any extra.

I enjoyed my meal, especially the bights that had chunks of cheese and seasoning. If I was eating this for lunch, this would have satisfied my appetite. Since it was the night before a long run, I did have bread and butter as well.  

3. Chicken Meatballs in Creamy Stroganoff Sauce: 

(Microwave time 3.5 min, +1 min wait)

Pasta was cooked to perfection!

Sauce and veggies: To be honest, I do not remember the last time I had a stroganoff sauce, don’t even remember what it is, did not know what to expect. Guess what? It’s a sour cream sauce with sautéed mushrooms and onions. All sounds good to me! The sauce was very tasty! I typically enjoy mushrooms, and not a fan of onions but like the taste (a texture thing for me), but texture was a non issue, definitely enjoyed it. Their version included cauliflower and kale. I don’t go out of my way to east cauliflower, but it was fine. And I am enjoying kale!
  
4. Chicken Meatballs in Creamy Pesto Sauce:
(Microwave time 3.5 min, +1 min wait)

Pasta, again was cooked to perfection! Am thinking the one time it was off was definitely me being impatient! 

Sauce: a healthier take on pesto, their version includes white beans and squash, was a nice touch! Pesto's I have had previously were a bit more intense. Other pesto's may have an overwhelming amount of basil, garlic, and olive oil/tapenade. Where as Luvo's version is much more subtle and refreshing! Looking at the ingredients, it doesn't even have olive oil, it has sunflower oil! They certainly flipped the script on this one! 

Overall: the ordering process was a breeze. Each meal was a unique take on a classic. Each meal providing veggie packed protein and whole grains. If you are looking for meat, the chicken meatballs are excellent. I learned that wheat pasta can be good if cooked properly. And that I actually like Kale! if you are looking at microwavable meals, convenient meals that are health conscious, I would definitely give these a try!

Their info is below. Let me know if you have any questions!

Site and social:
Site: https://shop.luvoinc.com/
Discount code: Use 'BIBRAVE' to receive a fee meal when ordering 7 or more! Just apply the code at checkout!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/luvoinc
IG: https://www.instagram.com/luvoinc/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...