Sunday, April 12, 2020

Weekly Running Report: April 12, 2020

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well!


Happy Easter! (to those who celebrate)

How's training going during all this craziness? Still getting outside (social distancing of course)? More indoor runs/workouts?


I'm still following my spring marathon plan for now. This was week 18 of 20.

My Week in Training:


Monday: 6 miles before work. Saturday was my 2nd 20 miler, Sunday concentrated on rest and recovery. Ice bath, hydrated well, use my Belifu TENS gadget, foam roll, netflix (Ozark) and in bed on time. Tossed/turned a bunch, could of gotten a little more quality, but ready to take on the day. Coffee, workout (core and arms/shoulders), and out the door by 6. Still feeling Saturday, but moving along. 7:55 before my midway hill, knew today may be 8:15 and am good with that. 8:10 and maintaining through another hill in the last mile. Quads/calves etc feeling it, but happy with today's run overall. Social distancing: only saw 3 people and only had to space away from 1. Wearing my buff whenever I approach anyone.

Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Mon, in bed 15 minutes late, a decent night's rest, but a bit tired at work. Slept until my alarm, but ready to go. Coffee and workout (core and chest). Out the door by 6:30. Decent weather. A little sore, but ready to push it. First couple alerts sub 7. Got distracted by the sunrise across the highway. Looked for a couple spots to get a pic, but there was trees in the way of the best spots. Lost attn for a few, faded a bit. Tried to regain composure, dropped it back down for a bit through the hill at .6, but faded at the incline after. A tough 7 min mi, by the end, but not concerned. 
Wednesday: 6 miles before work. Tues, had a reuben sandwich for dinner (contains sauerkraut, slight concern it may lead to tummy issue delays) and later on had a couple beers for #NationalBeerDay. Did not over do it. In bed on time. A wicked storm overnight had us up, able to fall back to sleep for a bit. Up! No head or tummy issues. Could of done some stretching though, right shin's a bit tight. Workout (core and chest) and out the door by 6. Rain cleared up, but a bit humid, 95%! High 50's, got warm fast! pacing: Settled in, but could feel the inclines early. 7:50's before my midway hill, 8's after. Could tell early it may be an 8:15 day. Maintained for a bit, another hill at mi 5. 8:15 and heavy legs after. Social Distancing: made it 3 miles before I saw anyone. 3 ppl for the day, only had to space away from 2.
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Wed, made a point to foam roll, and in bed on time, but up multiple times, and slept until my alarm. Up and ready to go. Coffee and workout (core and chest), stretch my back out and out the door by 6:40. (few min late). Felt decent, pushing a bit. Passed my first landmark for my first pace alert, felt good, but pace alert was a bit slower than expected. Continued pushing, picking up steam. Worked on breathing and foot strike. Felt it at the end, but fun. Social distancing: only saw one other person, another runner that I haven't seen before. too bad we can't be social, nod and wave! 
Friday: 6 miles (scheduled for 5). Day off from work. Participated in Thirsty thursday yesterday, normally wouldn't, but figured I could sleep in a bit. I did set my alarm, but ended up disabling it. Slept in a few minutes past 6. Coffee and workout (core and arms/shoulders). Did a couple extra sets since I had time. Over at my trail by 8:15. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Doing the side to Rockledge Park today, and figured since I'm taking a break from my neighborhood hills, I would do the hill in Rockledge. It's a nice steep hill! Pacing: started out in 7:30's and eventually settled in the 7:50's. After the hill in Rockledge, pacing 8:05. Back to the trail and back, picked up the pace. Figured I'd be in the 8 teens, but splits went well on the way back to get sub 8. Social distancing: did see a couple walking groups and one pair of runners that probably don't live together, Not Cool. Rest of the trail was well spaced. Overall a good day at the trail.
Full Trail Pics on Facebook
Friday was also new show day! Saucony Triumph 17's. Jenkintown Running Co ordered my size and delivered to my door. Be sure to support your local running store, especially in these times.  
Saturday: 10 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! Friday, participated in a virtual happy hour, but behaved. In bed on time, and had my alarm set a few minutes early. Goal to get to my rail by 6 to beat the weekend traffic, but morning routine needed a few more minutes. At my trail and ready to go by 6:15. Another sidenote: daylight is getting closer to 6am! My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle, Welsh and Terwood Rd. Did the more gradual incline side to Rockledge and back first. Pacing 7:50's but faded up the incline. 8's by the turnaround, not feeling the energy for splits, will be trying to maintain under 8:15. Passed my car at 5.5, skipped hydrating. Off to the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd and back. Fueled at 6 mi. Fading again to 8:20. Alright, going to keep it under 8:30. lol..  Decent 10 miler, didn't feel great, but not bad. Nice day at the trail though. Weather was 38 with some wind, 45 by end time. People were really well spaced except for this group of three that were forming a wall. Not cool, one should fall behind when someone passes or comes towards them. Four across is not well spaced. Also would like to see more masks. Maybe 1/4 of people are wearing them.
Full trail Pics on Facebook
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak Day .  Saturday, did an ice bath, hydrated well, use my Belifu TENS gadget. Eventually offset hydration with a few beverages. Saturday, also had take out for dinner. We don't go out to eat often, about once a week, and are trying to support at least one local restaurant a week during the stay at home order. Support local business.
Up late, tried sleeping in, but the bright sun and regular "routine" had me up. Up and taking my time. Coffee, stretch my back out, and out the door after 9. Quads a little sore, but tried pushing it a bit. First pace alert was under 6:30. Alright, guess I'm pushing it today. Worked on breathing and foot strike. Even got a pace alert under 6:20! Hill at .6 and incline before the end, faded, but pulled off a new fastest 1 miler (by 1 second)
Will try to take it easy remainder of the day. 
Zoom Easter call with the extended family. Q: How are you celebrating Easter (if you do)?
I may have some outdoor chores later today since the temps are going up. Monday is 5 mile day. Monday's can be rough, but not as intimidated for 5 mi.

Weekly Summary:
Miles: 27 miles scheduled, 31 completed miles
Strength Training: Minimum 80 minutes, 177 minutes completed. One thing that working from home has helped. May do a few more minutes before my run, and may a few minutes here and there during work. Need a few min break from work? Get a few sets in! 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest. 
Training Plan: 
This was week 18 marathon training, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 


03.29.2020 - Philadelphia Love Run half marathon: Rescheduled to 10.10.20, deferred to 2021.

04.26.2020 - NJ Marathon: 1. rescheduled to 11.15.20. 2. Option to defer 2021. 3. option to take online or in store credit! (minus tax/fees)

05.03.2020 - Broad Street Run - rescheduled to 10.4.2020

10.11.2020 - Chicago Marathon

11.22.2020 - Philly Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...