Sunday, April 5, 2020

Weekly Running Report: April 5, 2020

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well!


How's training going during all this craziness? Still getting outside (social distancing of course)? More indoor runs/workouts?

I'm still following my spring marathon plan for now. This was week 17 of 20.


My Week in Training:

Monday: 7 miles before work. Sunday, concentrated on recovery and took it easy.  Ice bath, hydrated well, use my Belifu TENS gadget, foam roll and in bed on time. Up at least once and again before my alarm, but a good night's rest. Coffee and workout (core and arms/shoulders) and out the door by 6. A little sore from Saturday, but not bad. Settled in 7:50's till my midway hill, 8 ish after. Maintained a bit, but another hill and incline with 15 minutes to go, faded a little more. Felt the hills at the end, but felt pretty good for a Monday. The weather was nice as well! 50 and humid, short sleeves! Hat/gloves for a bit, but ditched them early. A little misty, but didn't really have to ditch the glasses. Social distancing: maybe 4-5 people. Only had to space away from 2 as I ran by bus stops. 
Tuesday: 1 mile before work. Monday, decent night's rest, up once and again before my alarm. Coffee and workout (core and chest). Good workout except for crunches, seemed to have pulled my neck. Still got other core work in, but a lot less crunches, will review form as I ease back into them. Stretch and out the door a few min past 6:30. Worked on breathing before taking off. Still a little sore, but going to push it a it. First alert sub 7 and the next few alerts kept getting better, at least one sub 6:40. Started to fade slightly at the hill in .6, pushed to maintain through and remainder of the way. Breathing was good most of the way. Rough, but fun.
Wednesday: 6 miles before work. Taco Tuesday: partaken in tacos and a "virtual" happy hour. lol.. In bed on time, but not quality rest. Up before my alarm but tired. Workout went well (core and arms/shoulders). Morning "routine" done, but hesitant. Out the door by 6. Pacing settled in the 7:30's. Definitely surprised at pacing early, figured i would fade. 7:40's after my hill and feeling it. Tired and sore, but moving right along. Didn't push it, but keeping it under 8 on my mind rest of the way. Went better than expected, but will still make an effort not to consume alcohol on days I'm running the next morning. (aside from streak days). 
Miscellaneous cardio: 1 hour yard work 
Thursday: 1 mile before work. Wed night, made a concerted effort to get decent rest. A little sore, but well rested. Coffee workout (core and chest) a little rough, but done. Out the door by 6:40. Started out trying to push it, a few alerts around 6:50, but was a bit of a struggle. Hill at .6, faded, tried pushing it, but hung on to keep it at 7. Definitely didn't have fresh legs today. lol..
Friday: 4 miles before work. Foam rolled last night, up a few minutes late on Thu, just wasn't ready for bed. But up before my alarm. Coffee and a good workout in (core and arms/shoulders). Stretch, and out the door by 6. Had some hesitation before heading out. Felt if stairs are making me tired how am I going to have a good run. Ignore that. Settled in early. Comfortable, and maybe even too fast for a bit. Had a pace alert sub 7. Shouldn't be doing that. Got comfortable in 7:30's for a bit. Made it through my midway hill under 7:45. Was going to try to keep it there, but the hill in the last mile got me a bit more. Felt good to push it, felt the hills and a bit rough at the end, but fun. Social distancing: ony saw three dog walkers. 
Saturday: 20 miles. Long run day, trail day, yay! Fri, foam rolled and in bed early! Set my alarm a few min early to attempt to get to the trail by 6. Decent night's rest and started my run by 6:04. Early attempt to avoid people. I know I cant avoid people for 3+ hours, but starting early and a chance of rain may help. My trail Pennypack Creek. Park in the middle Welsh and Terwood Rd. Did the more gradual incline to Rockledge Park first. Pacing: First mile may have been 8:30, but pulled it back to 8:50's shortly after stayed there for a while. At the Rockledge end, pulled off into the neighborhood for 10 minutes out and back. Adding at least one hill and a couple miles. Back to the trail. Fueled at 6 miles. Hydrated at my car at 8 miles. Off to the more wooded side to ByBerry Rd. At 10 miles, still felt good, but shouldn't measure a run by a halfway point. A lot can go wrong in the last quarter (or eighth). lol.. At the ByBerry Rd end, pulled off to the business district for a loop. Lost track of how long I was over there, but at least 15 minutes. Back to the trail. Fueled at 12.3ish miles and hydrated at my car. 4.5 miles to go. Felt ok, but doubts in my head. Kept on rolling. To Rockledge Park end and back. Faded a bit, feeling it after 18, but within goal (9:09), did not try to over exert to bring it back down. lol.. Hit 20 miles with at least .7 to go to my car. Stopped my apps and did a light jog in. Adding a bit at either end the first go wasn't just to prevent having to do the other section a second time, but to help calc what I would do if I ever decided to do 26.2 at my trail. Adding the off trail sections plus the full trail twice should do it. Not sure if I can do it mentally, but that's another story to be determined in three weeks.
Social distancing: seems to be better at my trail. Although it wasn't sunny. Only a couple groups bigger than two and were somewhat spaced. Many pairs, although they were friends, saw some virtual racers, and bumped into a few friends briefly, we kept our distance. And I pulled up my Buff as I passed anyone.
Full trail pics on Facebook
Sunday: 1 mile. Rest day, one for the streak. Run Streak day 1534.Saturday, did an ice bath, hydrated well, foam rolled. Hydration eventually offset by a few drinks. A little sore this morning, but not as achy out of bed as the previous 20 miler. Ice baths may actually help. lol.. hard to do when it's not hot out, shocking at first, but worth it. Taking my time getting out there, out the door after 8:30. Felt alright to push it a bit. Sub 7 the entire way. Actually picked up a few seconds pushing through my hill at .6 Faded a bit at the end, but maintained under 7. A few minutes of yard work after, but not much. Think it helps to get yard work done mid week when possible to avoid extra soreness around long run recovery. Will be taking it easy remainder of the day, maybe another ice bath, hydrate well, and use my Belifu TENS gadget. 
Weekly Summary:
Miles: 37 miles scheduled, 40 completed miles
Strength Training: Minimum 80 minutes, 177 minutes completed. One thing that working from home has helped. May do a few more minutes before my run, and may a few minutes here and there during work. Need a few min break from work? Get a few sets in! 
What type of strength training do I do? Core: crunches, planks, leg raises. Weights: biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest. 
Training Plan: 
This was week 17 marathon training, using the below plan.
marathon training plan
Image from Coach Jenny Hadfield
Race Schedule: 

03.29.2020 - Philadelphia Love Run half marathon: Rescheduled to 10.10.20, deferred to 2021.

04.26.2020 - NJ Marathon: 1. rescheduled to 11.15.20. 2. Option to defer 2021. 3. option to take online or in store credit! (minus tax/fees)

05.03.2020 - Broad Street Run - rescheduled to 10.4.2020

10.11.2020 - Chicago Marathon

11.22.2020 - Philly Marathon

Good luck to everyone with training! Kick some butt! 

If you do any races, please remember to review them on ! Your opinions help other runners decide what races to run!  Follow me on BibRave Joe G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Announcement: Philadelphia Marathon Weekend Ambassadorship

Hi Everyone! Happy Monday! I am honored and excited to be a part of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend as an ambassador! I'm a huge fan of al...